Friday, April 3, 2009

Embracing "mixed abilities"....


This afternoon we went to a performance of Jolt dance company. Reuben is in the Children's class. All the participants have mixed abilities. In Reuben's class there are mostly Downes kids with a sprinkling of other 'abilities'.


We watched all the classes from the tiny little ones to the grown-ups. Feats of courage which brought tears to your eyes. It struck me as I looked around, how none of us actually sign up to be part of this special parenting club, but I wonder how many of us have had our lives enriched by being here.


I also thought about how as we begin this journey, we kind of expect to get to the end of it, but actually we aren't going to, we've signed up for LIFE, this means, they are not going to grow out of it... they are always going to be special. We just need to GROW with the job.


Reuben hasn't been doing so well lately and we are struggling to know how to support him. One of the things I've been thinking about is how when you have a kid with special needs, the thing that scares you the most is the FUTURE. It frightens the c*** out of you. But the kids don't care, they live in the moment. They are only interested in what is happening now. Tomorrow, next week, next month, next year... all hard concepts to understand. The biggest gift to a parent that a "mixed ability" kid brings is the ability to live in the moment. Not multi tasking, not juggling, not planning, scheming, just living in the present and enjoying it.


Reuben honey, I know its tough for you right now, but we love you and support you in all you do. You are so precious to us.

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful sentiments, and Reuben is a sweet-looking little guy! I'll bet he is a great big brother.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!