Sunday, July 26, 2009

Ginger Gems!!!

Although the sun is shining, it's bitterly cold here. The cupboard is bare of baking and I was going to make piklets for afternoon tea for the boys. Then I remembered that there was a receipe for Ginger Gems in the Sunday Star Times and seeing as the oven was going to be on for the beef casserole for tea I made a batch...
Ginger Gems

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground giner
1/2 cup golden syrup
1 dessertspoon butter
1 egg
A little egg

Preheat oven to 180 deg. C and put gem irons in to heat for 20 minutes. Melt butter and syrup together, until just warmed and dissolved. Sift dry ingredients together and add syrup and butter to them. Now add egg (beaten) and milk. Spoon into gem irons and bake for 10 minutes. Serve split and buttered while still hot.

Hmmm just as good as I remembered! My friend's mum, Gill used to make them I remember when I was a kid.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting, and they look cute. I haven't tried much of anything Ginger, but I suppose I should being a Ginger myself and all! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome Debs, i love anything ginger.. am off to make some now - tis a useful distraction from studying and job hunting!
    sorry ive been a a bit slack at keeping in touch - not the nest of times on this side of the planet. but i think of you all constantly. Much love, Fi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. make that 'best' of times - although a nest of times is food for thought.... xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!