Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Do I want borders with this??


I sewed all my scrappy christmas blocks together but now that I have, I'm wondering if I should have put white sashing between each block. Is this too much of a good thing?? I'm the last person to want to unpick, but I wonder if I will regret it if I don't. Thoughts anyone???

I brought a frame for my first venture into hand-quilting and I tacked the quilt on my machine so it's all ready to go. I think it's going to take quite a lot of practice to get even. I might have to go a-hunting for a tutorial somewhere before I get too much further.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Hun, what about a fine white border then a thicker christmas print. It would save unpicking and the little bit of white would make all of the christmas colours pop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it without, but lay it over a white sheet to make a mock version with sashing to see if you like it. I've just managed to make a design wall, it really helps with block layouts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. really i think that quilt top looks great as it is unpicking is never a great plan...just do a border around the outside. that will really set everything off....love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Deb has a good idea! Not that I know how you would do that, but that sounds like LESS WORK to me!

    I love the scrappy quilt! Think it is fabulous, but the white would frame each square, giving each its own identity!

    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it with out sashing. Both Deb and Viv have good ideas.
    Great job by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks great the way it is, gives it a real scrappy look but then again white sashing does make individual blocks 'pop'.
    Good on you for trying out handquilting! I love the look it gives a quilt. I have done quite a bit of handquilting so feel free to ask me if you have any queries. I think the key is to not worry about the size of your stitch but to focus on getting a consistent size.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!