Sunday, November 1, 2009

Fighting the black dog...


this is for two dear friends of mine (you know who you are). I'm guessing that life is not so chirpy right now and that's why there is silence on your blogs. I just want you both to know that we love you and am thinking of you. Nothing is so big that we can't deal with it together.

I don't know if this would help. But I learnt once about a 'toolbox' of skills. It seems too simple, but it actually works. It's called BREADS and it's actually a very practical way to deal with feelings of overwhelm....

B reathe
R elax
E xercise
A sk for help
D istraction
S elf-talk

We have used it for quite a few years in our home. When someone is feeling bad, we pull out one of these tools and use them.

"Oh honey can you take the dog for a run please" (Exercise)
"Sweetie, can you come and help me with peeling these carrots please? (Distraction)
"Remember you managed that fine last time" (Self talk)

Anyway hang in there kiddos, it will get better as you know.
Big love and hugs
deb xx

1 comment:

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!