- Cut the fat quarter into four. (I pressed the fat quarter and cut down the lines)
- Use a plate to mark a curve on one side. About 2-3 cm down (one inch) not as much as this picture, you'll see why later!
- Cut along the line.
- Press the fabric in half length wise and cut through both layers of the fabric to make the armpit exactly the same.
- Using the cut piece as a template, cut the other armpits on the rest of the squares.
- fold under and press the top.
- Fold and press again.
- I unfolded the top and sewed the side seams.
- Zigzag the arm pits then fold under and sew down.
- Refold the top and sew down.
- Thread ribbon through and dress your teddy.
- I made the armpit way to big on the first dress - fail! so I had to cut off the top and resew. My dress ended up shorter!!
Sunday, November 8, 2009
Tutorial for a simple dress for a teddy or doll
Whitcoulls I was buying some Christmas presents and if you spend $20 you can buy a sweet bear for $7.50. I usually try and buy each of the kiddies a soft toy (something to love) each Christmas so I got four. I thought I would make a wee dress for the girl ones and while I was at it, I thought I would take pictures and share the process. You can learn from my mistakes (more about them later!). I used a fat quarter and made two dresses which makes for a very economical present, especially if you get a toy from the $$ shop. Ok lets get started.