Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Spicy Plum Sauce

The other night we picked a jam-pan full of green-gage plums from Nana's tree. They sat on the kitchen floor for almost a week (much to Annie-Roses' delight) until they started to go soft. On Saturday we washed them, picked out the bad ones and put them on to boil. The next morning I pushed them all through the colander to get a nice plummy mush.

But what I really wanted was to make plum sauce, which usually you boil the ingredients from the start. Anyway I found this recipe on line and mum cut up an onion finely and put it in a saucepan with:
1 clove garlic
2 cups cider vinegar
1 T ground ginger
1 T ground mustard
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground cloves
1 t paprika (for colour)

We boiled it till the onion was cooked and then added it to the plums and boiled them all together for about 20 minutes. Then mum put it into hot jars. It tastes amazing and I was so please that we hadn't let the plums go to waste.

So there you are, normally it's good cooking practice to do things in the correct order, but in this case we got away with it. Yummy!

4 comments:

  1. I'll have to keep this recipe! Thank you! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. how do you eat it? I've never heard of plum sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds yummy...i a with the last commenter. what do you eat it with or on?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!