Monday, September 6, 2010

Earthquake Update

Hi Everyone,  first I just want to say a big thank you for all the messages. We really apppreciate them. This has been such a scary time. Our family has been very fortunate and our house is fine, but many Christchurch folk have lost water and power and in some cases their homes. There is a lot of damage, but everyone is pulling together.
My nieces went for a walk in their neighbourhood yesterday and put these pictures on facebook. It's amazing. You can drive around and everything seems fine, then suddenly you seem something just amazing.
The worst bit is the aftershocks. Last night we had so many and they are terrible. They are just doing our head in, because you don't know if you should leap out of bed and grab the kids.
Please pray that the earth (and our nerves) settle soon and that we are able to feel a bit normal again. You can check out the activity on the Geonet site, which just blows my mind when I see how many shocks we are experiencing. No wonder we are frazzled.

I sure hope normal blogging will resume sometime...

10 comments:

  1. Glad to hear everyone is okay.
    Its not everyday NZ appears on our news stations.

    Having been to Christchurch I can well imagine the nightmare.

    I'm def praying for no more after shocks.

    Clare x
    ps. just wanted you to know that I do read and love your blog, even though I dont comment often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb,
    This earthquake has bought me out of lurkdom. :o)I've been reading your blog for awhile but haven't commented. Glad to hear you are all safe. We are in rural Canterbury and I can definitely sympathise with you on the aftershock trauma. Another sleepless night last night for us with the four kids sleeping in our room. My stomach is so churned up - daylight brings a little peace. I hope they stop soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been praying for your family and everyone in Christchurch. I know how scary earthquakes can be although we haven't had one that big yet, every Californian lives in dread of the "big one." I hope all is back to as normal as possible as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris said.....

    Glad to hear that things are o.k.
    and yes, the rest of us Kiwis feel for you having so many aftershocks...

    Saturday morning here, was spent by us checking on god-son and his brother at Canterbury Uni and some of my daughters friends as well to find them o.k.

    Our family here in Wellington..are up-grading our emergency kit, as we have let things lapse...

    Wishing you all well..in the days ahead....... :)

    kind regards
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck, Deb! You are still on my mind and in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. those pictures are amazing....i can not imagine how hard and nerve wracking that is. i went to that sight and frequency of the quakes is mind blowing. i am so glad to know that you all are ok and that your house is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb, I have been praying for your safety and peace of mind...I have been following the news of the earthquake and aftershocks there. I hope the earth calms and you can relax.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Deb

    My thoughts are with all of you down there. We had a 5.0 quake in Wanganui a couple of weeks ago. It is the first time in my teaching career I have asked the students to do the 'duck and cover' routine. We got off lightly. The on-going after shocks must be nerve-wracking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was sort of surreal to be in the middle of sunny US and hear about Christchurch on the radio. I immediately thought of you and told my husband about you. Like I said before, I have never had to deal with any natural disaster, and I feel very blessed to be able to say that. I am glad to hear you are well, though. I will be praying for your community. I can only imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my--I am so glad that you all are safe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!