Thursday, September 30, 2010

Places I love: Sweet William...

I've brought a few prints from Shelley and Paula who blog together at Sweet William and I like them so much. Her work is so fresh and inspiring and full of lovely detail. I've brought prints for presents and also an alphabet for Annie-Rose's bedroom wall. I brought some of their dear little dolls who live in matchboxes and also the 2010 calendar which is amazing.
Everytime I contact them, they are always so friendly and helpful and so I asked Shelly if she would answer a few questions for me so that you can get to know her too and she was nice enough to oblige!
2redheart
Can you tell me a little bit about you (married/children/dogs what have you):
I was born in South Africa. Then I was hauled all over the world with my parents and lived in lovely exotic places like Angola and Iran. France was perhaps the best. I married my High School sweetie, and we have two lovely girls, and a Bulldog and a Pug (several chickens and goldfish and bunny). We moved to NZ in 2007 - and we love it. Now we are building a house - and its very stressy but fun!

What do you best like to create?
Creating for me is always a bit of a liquid thing. I have moments of trying something, love it or hate it and either do more or give up completly. I think textiles and paper are my fav mediums. I I am usally drawn to the thing that I have never tried before. Embroidery will always be the thing that puts me into a warm fuzzy feeling though.
2time

How do you go about the creative process (you know, lock the dog up, put some music on, or just do it at the kitchen bench!):
I need to be in the zone - the frustrating thing is I don't know when the zone will come. Sometimes I put time aside and I start tinkering - the juices are usually flowing at the most inconveneient times though - like late at night while I am falling asleep - but I find the best creative time is when I have a session with other creative types. I really love getting together with some friends, have a good craft session and a yak at the same time.

How do you find inspiration?
A good browse through the library, a wander through a gallery, and fossic through the fabric aisles at Spotlight and then a good hard trawl through the internet - so much yummy stuff on Flickr!

What do you like to do in your spare time (haha):
At the moment all spare time is taken up with trying to get a wee bit fitter (the 40th is coming up soon!) and planning for our new house.
back
What is your favourite print/item you have created?:

I think I am really chuffed with The Madonna and child Doll - she is such a lovely symbol of love and she is the first design that my sister and I did together....
marketc

My fav print is usally the one that is hot off the press...
loves print

Thanks Shelly so much for popping by. I just love your work. Now it's very reasonably priced and just lovely, so pop over to Etsy here or Felt here and pick up one for yourself or maybe a present (did you know it's 86 days till Christmas??)

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your wonderful works of art. I enjoy visiting your place here. Keep up the good work. Look forward to more "works in progress" - Marietta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie, Paula here, Shelley's sister and other half of Sweet William, thanks for the lovely feature, it reads well and looks great. Thanks! Paula xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adore sweet william's work. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. deb thanks for introducing us. i found the most perfect owl print for the babies new nursery

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put them in my favorites on Etsy, going back to browse around. They have wonderful art. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb,
    Thanks so much - you have always been so supportive - what a joy!
    x Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb - What an awesome feature! I discovered Sweet William when they put up that red heart print for sale on the Hearts for Haiti etsy shop and I loved it so much that I bought it! I would love to grab some more pieces of the artwork sometime. So many good ones . . .

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!