Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Easy Embroidery 1970's style...

Ruth and I went to the local Children's Library yesterday afternoon. I haven't been in there since I was 10 which is a long time ago people! I had to bring home this book which was first lent out in 1975, so would have been in the library last time I visited.
 It's a gem of the highest order, I wish I could own it. Honestly it has so many cool ideas. Like this which I think will be perfect for the Great Big Postcard Swap. Soooo cute!
 It has the dearest little illustrations here and there.
I nearly jumped out of my skin when I saw this owl. How great is he? Chrissy wants to embroider him on a plain sweatshirt!
 It has really well written instructions, complete with drawings to demonstrate the techniques. Oh how I love it.
 I can't wait to try some of the projects in here and learn some new stitches. I wonder if I can bribe the library lady to let me keep it??? Honestly though I'll have to take my camera next time and show you what it looks like. It has not changed one bit since the 1970s, it's fantastic. If you live in Christchurch its the best children's library in the city and free to join. Its by the river at the end of Ford Road right by Opawa School.

16 comments:

  1. This book looks delightful! I'll have to see if our library has a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats cool!
    maybe ebay might have one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to visit a little library like that in Mairehau. Such awesome treasure troves!!

    I love the look of that book hope you get to keep it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I find a book like that, that really interests me and has been around 40+ years, I like to google the author and find out what happened to them! Hope you find yourself a copy of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I just found a blog that mentions other books..mettetations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a look in the back and see how often it's been out, they'd probably sell it to you...it's worth a try. It looks familiar, maybe I should check out Nana's craft books lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had to pay replacement cost of books before thanks to the "artwork" of the little ones. Another hint is the library book sales, so so cheap and I got myself a 1970s dolls clothes book last time, amongst other things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, that book totally reminds me of craft books I had when I was a kid! I don't think I had that exact one but certainly some very similar! I wonder if any are still at my parent's place...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great book! How cute is that owl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book portrays the real def nation of embroidery work......

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are making me wish I hadn't done that cull of all those knitting and craft books I did a few years ago. They would be so 'in' now. Oh dear, I'm getting old enough to be a witness to the "fashion goes in circles" phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I adore the little girl on the front cover with the apples in her hair. And the wee houses are gorgeous! What a find! Maybe you could scan it and print yourself out a copy?

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a fun find...i am really loving on the owls right now. there seems to be a lot of owl stuff turning up in the baby's new things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome book, the houses look so cute, would love to stitch them too

    ReplyDelete
  15. That just looks like the most spectacular book. Love it SO much. YAY!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!