Sunday, October 3, 2010

Keeping it real, or even though I shout at the kids on the way to Church, God still loves me!

On the whole my blog is a reflection of the good things in my life, when I write I try and keep a good attitude about what's been happening and reflect that back out there! But yesterday something happened that I just thought I'd share. Picture this... it's Sunday and we are getting our brood organised for the day and working on getting them out the door. The sun is shining and the chickens are clucking. All good right?

But then Mr 14 decides he doesn't want to go to church, and Mr 8 decides to comment on this and other things and quickly it all turns to custard. In the van on the way to church harsh words are exchanged (epic fail) and David and I drag them all out when we get to church and push them in the direction of the door. By this point I'm so fed up with the whole drama, I say to David, I feel like giving up, just getting a coffee and going home. Does this only happen to us or is this familiar to anyone else?

Then we walk into church (which has started, we're late strangely enough) and I feel like crying from just the unfairness of it all. But then the words from the songs reach out into my stressed out heart....

Every moment that You give, is a gift for us to live....
and somehow the pieces fell back together, and I just knew I was in the right place and so were those kids of ours we dragged along! Thank you God for still loving me even with all my many imperfections!

PS: Blogger is not uploading pictures at all today, but I have a new tutorial for a toy that I'm going to make for Toys for Mirabel, so do pop back tomorrow. (Hint: it's easy and cute!)

16 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing! and for being transparent. we all go thru moments like this! i can definitely relate. thank goodness that God loves us through it all, and is always teaching us and making us more like Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most weeks on the way to church I wonder why I even bother. Today we didn't With two kids under three with runny noses it didn't seem worth it. But when we DO make it it's always worth it. Thanks for the reminder and for being transparent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IT HAPPENS TO EVERYONE! Let that be your mantra. And if you want in depth and detailed comparison of comedy of error getting kids out door experience, well let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are not alone...it is good to be real about life. i am so glad that when you got there you heard the words you needed

    ReplyDelete
  5. yip!!! I hear ya!!!

    I've got to the point now that I EXPECT something to happen on a Sunday morning that would usually urk me...make me lose the plot and ultimately feel horrible walking through those doors. so now I go with the flow alot more ...works MOSt of the time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep - we have that often as we drive to church... and we are pastors/elders too! Everyone struggles I think, especially on the rush to get there on time! Often when I least feel like going I am impacted the most!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ditto to all the previous comments! The guilt can take over, but all we can do is keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said! I totally understand...
    there are weeks when this is our family! Sometimes it is hard, and it would be so much easier NOT to go. But I never regret the effort once we're there - I always end up feeling fortified.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey there. this sunday i went for the first time in two years. even tho i 'sprang forward' my clock , i was still an hour late. sat down, and in five minutes he was closing. is he closing? i asked myself. yes, i had missed it all but the closing and a very nice song. but the power of just being there, surrounded by people i knew, and a love i'll always be lucky enough to feel, was all i needed it seems.
    xo have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing and keeping it real Deb. No one is a perfect parent and I'm sure we've all had similar moments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In our Bible Study Group we have two sayings that have become a repeating mantra for the families there. The first is "just livin' the dream" and the second can be heard right after it. "Suck it up Cupcake!" (Always said with a wink and a loving pat on the back! :0D ) We really are living the dream in many ways. We are blessed abundantly, but this life is a dream compared to the one to come with Christ. So we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and keep on staining for the goal, trying to encourage eachother along the way. That said, I have lived your scenario, repeatedly!

    Blessings,

    KT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Deb, every Sunday I am so stressed out by the time we get to Sunday School that I don't even know why we go! I think, forgive me for getting philosophical, the devil doesn't want us there, so he works HARD against us, hoping we will give in and stay home!

    There are mornings the kids are lucky they don't go to church with red backsides!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are definitely not the only one who experiences this sort of thing! My oldest is mildly autistic and, boy oh boy, does he ever drive me crazy about church. This is my 6 foot plus, 14 year old who is infurated when the sermon might touch on salvation (because in his mind, it means that everyone dies and that frightens him). So, he sits and whispers (loudest whisper I have EVER heard) "not that CRAP again!"

    I feel your pain! But, I believe that yours will get better in time. I am not sure that mine will ease up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure we all have bad days - we certainly do at our place!
    Something that I am really working on is only letting the 'bad' times be moments and not stain an entire day - bounce back so to speak and try to wrestle with the day to turn it back into a good one... but sometimes it just ain't in me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is not about us being so good, but keeping our eyes on how good God is, and then everything falls into place!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Deb,
    Our Pastor used to say satan is most active in christian homes on Sunday mornings because he doesn't want us to go to church. I learn't to be organised the night before, get up early and pray against the evil one. Playing loud scripture music helps as well.
    Will pray specifically for you on Sunday morning!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!