Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tutorial for a simple bag using one piece of fabric....

Today I was putting the final items in our shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child. I thought the child might like a bag to keep their treasures in so I whipped up a couple of these little numbers!
I had a piece fabric 16 inches long across the width of the fabric, so I cut this in half to make two pieces of fabric 16 x 22 inches (approximately depending on the width of your fabric). This will make two bags. First across one of the long sides, I pressed down 1/4 of an inch and then an inch which will be the casing. Open in out and fold the fabric on half long ways.
 With fabric wrong sides together, I sewed down one side and across the bottom and then trimmed the corners and turned it inside out.
 Then I sewed down the side and across the bottom again, thereby encasing all the seam. (This is called a French Seam).
 Then I turned the top edge over the 1/4 inch and sewed about three inches across the seam like this.
 Then I folded the 1/4 inch under and folded down the 1 inch and sewed all the way around the top, missing out the bit I've already sewed. This just keeps it neat at the top when I thread the tie through.
 Then you just need to thread a ribbon or piece of tape through and tie a knot. Does this make sense? I think I'll make some more for the little people in my life, I hope you can too.

2 comments:

  1. this is such a great idea to keep ones little treasures in

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! We are doing our Christmas boxes soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!