Sunday, November 7, 2010

At my house today....

 A beautiful tray cloth embroidered by my Grandmother in 1957 in Timaru. It's worn and faded, but I love it so much.
 So many teeny tiny flowers!
 It's so cool to have something that she has worked so hard over.
Mum said that she made it before she got married.
 So many hopes and dreams sewn into a pretty cloth.
Seeing it, I feel such a connection to her,
I must be like her... happy to stitch quietly away making something I love!
At first I thought it was a lazy daisy, but there's nothing lazy about this,
these are little wee stitches like a stem stitch.
I want to try them myself. Isn't it amazing?

10 comments:

  1. Oh my. How lovely. How wonderful to have something with so much of your grandmother in it. Wonderful. I wonder how long it took her. I wonder what conversations she had as she stitched. Was she sitting in the sun? Were her friends with her as she stitched? Did they chat about potential love?
    Wonderful, wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stitching is such almost perfect. It's wonderful you are able to have this. Maybe one day you'll be passing it on to your daughter or granddaughter. Wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, what a treasure and heirloom to pass down! Should you put her name and some sort of date on it? I inherited some needlework from my mom's hope chest but no idea who stitched it, and she didn't know either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is truly a treasure to have something that your grandmother made with her hands...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What gorgeous colors. I love old handmade things, and I love that you are so appreciative of them. I hope that someday a grand daughter or great grand daughter of mine cherishes something or other I have made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a very special and beautiful heirloom.
    Andi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. truly beautiful - what a fantastic family treasure. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is beautiful...what a treasure to have

    ReplyDelete
  9. how marvleous, what a treasure indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Correction! Just coz 1957 seems a long time ago to some of you it was actually the day before yesterday in my book.
    The cloth was in fact embroidered it 1937, truly it was 1937
    For Sally there is a photo somewhere of her embroiderying it sitting in the sun with her youngest sister in Timaru. She was doing it for her 'glory box.' :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!