Thursday, February 24, 2011

Broken....

Everybody in Christchurch has a story, everybody.
Here's mine..... I was driving down the road, when suddenly I almost lost control, I thought I had a puncture, but when I looked up I saw the St Mark's church spire rocking back and forward and the tiles falling off the roof, I stopped the car because the powerlines were swinging around the car so much.
 I thought of Chrissy and James in school in town and Reuben at Opawa, and my heart was torn. I went to Opawa, but my heart ached to go to get the big kids. The kids at Opawa were on the field and I quickly searched for the ones I knew. Reuben's teacher was upset, but being brave and i stayed and helped her. I was talking to the children, I promised them someone would come for them over and over. I didn't not promise their parents as I didn't know if they would come, but I knew someone would come. I hugged them and kissed them and tried to comfort them.

My sister Jo text me and I asked her to look for my kids. I exchanged many text messages with David and Jo as they tried to find them. I heard from James, but not from Chrissy, but finally she text me. There were many many after shocks while we sat on the grass, it was terrifying, and everytime the ground shock, all the children screamed. I don't think I'll ever forget hearing those screams over and over again. Finally most of the children had gone from Reuben's class so I took him and Annie back to the car.
We went to St Martins to get Nana. She is 88 and lives alone. My car got stuck in her drive and when I hopped out of the car, I sunk in the liquifaction half way to my knees. Nana was ok, but shaken, so I got her to pack a bag and borrowed a spade from a neighbour and dug my car out. It was all so surreal.
 Then I took them all home. It took us a while as the roads were so damaged and we had to find a safe way. When we got home, our neighbours were gathered on the side of the road. We joined the group. One of the neighbours had found our dog at a neighbourhood school, he was just so terrified, he must have run and run.
I went down to look at my house. The inside is unbelievable.
There was broken glass everywhere and furniture tipped over.
I couldn't help but cry and hyperventilate, it was just so shocking.
After what seemed like forever, Jo brought Chrissy and James home. We all stood on the footpath holding each other and crying. It was just so surreal. Jo was a hero to me that day, she brought my kids back and I was so grateful.

I knew we couldn't stay, there was no power or water and Annie is just so little. I rang our very good friends in Invercargill and they said we could stay and so we threw some stuff in the car and left after tea. James and David stayed behind to clean the place up. God was good and provided us with fuel and a comfy bed for the night. Now we are recovering in such a peaceful place, it's like heaven really. And the simple things like washing the clothes and hanging them on the line, I appreciate.

One other thing, I looked at my emails in McDonalds in Dunedin. There were 50 messages from you all and I cried again. thank you so much. We need all the encouragement we can. We do not know how we will go on, how can we earn a living?? how can we rebuild? Please keep the people of Christchurch in your prayers for a long time to come, and if you can give in anyway, we need it, really we do.

38 comments:

  1. Thank God you are all safe Deb. I was thinking of the kids being in town and have been terrified for you all but to scared to find out.
    Rest whilst you are down south, restore your energy, spend precious time with your family and friends.
    big hugs from home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I have tears in my eyes & a lump in my throat.

    How terrifying for you & your family, for everyone...!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So grateful that your family is all safe Deb and that you are safe in Invercargill. Thinking of you and praying for you all. If you know anyone needing a warm home, like I said we have plenty of space here in Wellington. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a story - brings tears to my eyes. Praying for you all for peace, comfort and that you will be able to walk this long hard road with faith and many blessings. All my love. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to hear about your house! SO glad you have friends and family around you. I don't really know what to say...so just sending a big HUG.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Deb. That all sounds so awful. So glad you and your family are safe. If we can do anything for you when you get back please don't hesitate to let me know. Rangiora has plenty of water. If you want to do some washing, have a shower, meals, ANYTHING you are most welcome at ours. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. tears here for you too.
    Wow, what an experience you have been through.
    Praying for you - hugs from me too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Deb, I have just sat down again to look at blogs... living in ChCh too & made it out of the CBD on the day - it is all so unreal. Wishing you and your family all the best moving forward and picking up the peices at home.

    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending giant cyber hugs to you and the kids Deb, from across the ditch xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry you are having to go through this. My heart goes out to you and all at this time. We are all so shocked that this could happen in our little country.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG Deb! I heard about the earthquake on the news and my first thought was of you... 'coz i remembered you lived there! But I'm glad that you all are safe... Sending wishes and prayers your way...
    Cheers from India

    ReplyDelete
  12. Deb, I can't imagine what you have just been through, lots of love to you over there, holding you in my heart. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Deb, what a truly terrifying experience, i just could not even begin to imagine. Thank God you and your family are OK and youre all together. Please stay safe, x

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you and family are ok I just read your post with tears in my eyes as I am sure many of us do when thinking what it would be like if it was us in the same situation.I hope never to feel a quake again (was a young child in Perth last time but I still remember)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Deb, You and your family have been in our thoughts. Praying that you and the community find the strength to go on.
    Stay safe. You are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Deb

    Thank you for telling your story. A truly terrifying day. I'm glad you are all safe. Our thought and prayers are with you and all of Christchurch.

    Quilty hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh sweet deb, thank you for sharing your story. i am crying. such a powerful thing to go through for you all. Your words had me walk in your shoes for a while and it was unbelievable. So many stories, ones of disbelief, terror, grief and now, more and more, ones of hope and kindness and support. So grateful you and the smaller kids have loving shelter. YOu are all in my heart and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My goodness, what an experience that much have been. So anxious.... I think of you and pray for you.
    Hugs Baukje

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am glad to hear you are safe and have somewhere to stay. I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Praying for you all. Looking for way to help/give. So glad you and yours are safe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So happy you're safe and sound. The stuff doesn't matter. I'll be thinking of everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So glad you are all okay. Keeping you in my prayers as you rebuild.

    ReplyDelete
  23. continuing to pray for you all. please let us know how we can help

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad to hear your family is alright. May everything come back together quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  25. thank you so much for posting this update, Deb. We are still praying here. Thinking of you so much. So so glad you are all provided for right now.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Deb, thank you for sharing your story. I am so thankful that you and your family are safe. Please know that we are praying for you and all of Christchurch.

    ReplyDelete
  27. sending love from all in the UK.

    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  28. oh my goodness...deb...here in australia they have been showing it on tv non stop...it is heartbreaking...i often think of what I would do with my kids scattered all over the place, different schools, some at part time jobs...I would never reach them all...that being my worse nightmare...you actually lived it, you poor thing!!!!you were TORN...how horrible for you..I hope you recover from just that experience!...your story makes it real deb...my heart is breaking for all those that have lost special people in their lives...little ones...you did a beautiful thing staying with the kids and you being there, "just" a mum....would have made such a difference to their experience, making them feel a little more safe, I know I would feel indebted to you if my kids were there... the panic dash you had to do will live with you for a long time, but I hope that you find peace in your thoughts very soon, and that you and the people who experienced this horrible earthquake 'get better' very very soon...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Deb - I saw some footage on the news a few days ago and it just broke my heart. How completely terrifying . . . and though your family is safe (praise God!) so much has been torn asunder. I'm grateful to see posts from you and hear how you are doing. I've been thinking about you and Anissa a lot all week long and you have been in our prayers daily.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hug your loved ones. Make the most of the little things in life. xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Deb,
    I have been so concerned for you and your family. I am so glad that you all seem to be okay. I cannot imagine the rebuilding and adjustments you all will have to make. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Julie
    www.mysewingobsession.blogspot.com
    (Formerly Julie's Blog)

    ReplyDelete
  32. So glad you're all safe and sound and have found a place of quiet away from Christchurch. Thanks for sharing your story:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. So thankful you and your family are safe! Thoughts and prayers are with you all from the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am so glad you are all safe. I had tear in my eyes, how scary.

    If if there is any way we can help let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  35. sending you so much love my dear friend. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Tears and a lump like everyone else, glad you are all safe

    ReplyDelete
  37. I remember being in a vintage thrift shop last year, hearing about an earthquake on the radio, and turning to tell my husband why that was significant to me...because of you. This time around, I sat in my kitchen, heartbroken, reading articles from my local newspaper to my husband about a family who would never see their mom again because her building had collapsed around her. I am so thankful your family is safe. I cannot imagine living through a national disaster. You are all so very inspiring. I will be praying for peace and guidance over there.

    ReplyDelete
  38. oh my goodness I just read that blog post and wanted to cry for you. So scary, my worst fear is a disaster like that and being separated from my family. I am so glad that you are safe and well and hope your home, city and people can get on wtih their lives. Keeping you in my prayers

    corrie:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!