Saturday, March 26, 2011

Processing Stuff...

Sorry about the sudden bloggy break.
We went to Kaikoura for the weekend last week and it was awesome.
We had a fun time and lots of laughs.
Just what we needed.

This week I've been on a couple of visits in the city
to parts that were severely effected by the Earthquake.
I took pictures to post here
but I just can't put them up right now.
I think I've spent the week processing
what I've seen.

I feel quite guilty because the devastation in Japan
is so terrible and their disaster on an
unimaginable scale!

 But here in Christchurch this is our own disaster.
It's hard to put it into words how much things have changed.
It will be years and years before our city
can properly function again.

We are still having a lot of aftershocks
and daily the damage on our homes gets worse.
At this point at least two walls of our home will be rebuilt one day.
I've been busy sorting and tidying our home
throwing out the broken stuff
and putting stuff away
so it won't hurt anyone next time it falls.
(at least one baby died when a TV fell on him)
So in short there's a lot of processing to do,
both sorting out our feelings
and sorting out how to run our lives now
(three kids, three different schools
plus one new Playcentre)
and sorting out our 'stuff'.

It's all part of processing.
I'm working on it, ok?

6 comments:

  1. It is going to be a very long road both physically for the city and emotionally for those of us who live here to recover from this. We have returned to our home for our first night since the quake tonight, feels like baby steps to move forward. Hope you are all keeping well and safe x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I feel so helpless and hopeless up here in Auckland - I don't know the right things to say or write but I want you to know with all of my heart we are thinking of you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a son who lives in earthquake prone southern California so I've spent a bit of time thinking about the devastation they bring. Each time Japan is mentioned I ache for them but then I nearly always think "but what about Christchurch? How are they doing?" You gave me a face for this tragedy, your tragedy. I wish there was something I could do to help but I am so far away I can only send you my encouragement and love. Blessed Be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please don't apologize; don't worry about us. Take as much time as you need to heal and take care of your family. I wish I could offer more than my sympathies from a world away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. take your time. i can not even fathom how hard it would be to emotionally deal with all of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. small steps, day at a time.. all these euphisms have taken on new meaning, and there will be new beginings for many, but much heartache in the process. Take care Deb, look after yourself and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!