Monday, April 11, 2011

The new normal...

I guess if you don't live in Christchurch you could be tired of the earthquake posts, but I guess we are all processing this, so bear with me while I write one more. My teenagers went to school in town, it was their playground, it was their place. They loved it. They were in town on the 22 February and watched their town fall to bits before their eyes. James was in the Cashel Mall and Chrissy was just by the CTV building.

Yesterday I took them through one of the streets which is open, St Asaph Street so they can see some of the damage to their city. They took all these photos (and many many more) on their cameras. It broke my heart actually to see how upset they were. I can't fix it you know, that's the hard bit.
We called this Chrissy's house, she always said she would buy it when she grew up. The hillside has come down and filled the house with rubble.

 It's so hard to take it all in. The day before the earthquake I drove down Colombo Street to the Crossing Car Park and had a meeting in Southern Star House. I can't actually believe so much changed in an instant. Now Chrissy is in a more traditional school (and loving it) wearing a uniform every day and James is stuck out in the country in a building which is just so different from what they were used to.
Now so much of the city is being pulled down, whole blocks are now cleared. It's unbelievable. It's crazy. It's the new normal.  Miriam has written here and Lou here, we are all working through the process really.

6 comments:

  1. I still haven't been into town. I haven't seen the actual devastation in real life yet. I thought about it today as I was driving to riccarton. I'm going to be so shocked when I finally do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a few people I know went into town this weekend. I'm not ready for it yet - I think I got enough of it on the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we all talk about things 'going back to normal' after something like this dont we.. but its a new normality for you guys.... take strength from each other and know that you are all well loved xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can not even imagine having to take that in as reality! you have a strong family

    ReplyDelete
  5. I doubt if there will ever be any normality about everthing that has happened Deb. There will be a reality but I think we will always feel slightly displaced from it all. Its like walking through it all but feeling nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb,
    thanks for stopping by my blog and for your kind words. I just do what I have to do . . . I feel so jolly helpless up here . . . I wish I could do more.
    I'm coming down in June - will spend a night with Miriam.
    Love and hugs for ever more
    Cat

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!