Wednesday, July 6, 2011

"Make do or Mend" quilt...

I call this quilt "Make do or Mend"
because of the grey fabric from Auntie Cookie
which has that written on it.
My mother-in-law gave me the panel for my birthday.

Although this is a simple quilt
it's filled with memories for me
I used all my special fabrics that I was saving for good in it.

I remember going to buy the fabric for it with my birthday money.
It was just a week or so after the first earthquake
and there were soldiers on the cordons.
It was the first time we had soldiers in our town like that
of course we are completely used to them now.

This Amy Butler fabric I brought specially years ago
to make something for my sister Sharyn
but I've done a few quilts for her
and somehow it never seemed to go.

Initially I had sewn doilies on some of the squares
while we were on our disaster holiday at Christmas
but I didn't like how they looked and took them off.

So this is a quilt filled with memories for me.

And it's going off with Gabe
as their family leaves our shaky city
and go to make new memories in the North.

I'll miss you Gabe
but I'm glad your family is going to sleep easy.

4 comments:

  1. You are a lovely person. Receiving a quilt is such a wonderful thing and I love that you are doing this. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really lovely that you are doing this...

    Love that you take photos of your beautiful quilt around construction sites! Such a neat contrast...bright vs dull.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is lovely....it feels good to use the favorite fabrics once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww I love it even more now reading that you used all your special fabrics for it.Bless. Did you know this is my first ever quilt? It's been on my bed since we arrived <3 Thank you so very much, I will treasure it forever xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!