Wednesday, August 10, 2011

[[Beautiful Quilt Pictures]]

On Saturday I went out early (for a Saturday)
and drove around the cordon that surrounds our central city
with an arm full of quilts and took some pictures.

This beautiful quilt started as an ugly duckling
abut it's turned into a beautiful swan.

Our son James was standing by the building that is being torn down
on at 12.51 on the 22 February.
It's a hard place for me to stand.
I've seen his picture in the Press Earthquake book,
I know he was terrified.

This quilt is so bright and happy
and, if it's not too much of a stretch, full of possibility.

It could be comfy in the long grass under a leafy tree
in the summer sun.

It could be snuggly warm to cuddle under
while the rain lashed outside the window.

Someone else's art hanging on the fence
a warm reminder we are all in this together.

This quilt is going with me to Sydney
for Sharyn and Simona.

I'm pretty sure they are going to 
be very very happy with it!

13 comments:

  1. I think it's a great quilt and I do agree that it is bright and cheerful.Always enjoy the HSTs and love your layout. Wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are so honest and heartbreaking - Your quilt is beautiful
    Hugs to you all
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, you are definitely going to have to make that book with pictures of all of your quilts! Both the photos and the quilt are exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a stunning quilt! What do you think of the new plans for Christchurch released today? I'm looking forward to seeing our city evolve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb, again your quilt photos are so moving, so evocative. It is so hard for us to imagine the extent of the damage. One of members at quilt club last Saturday was talking about visiting her mother in Christchurch recently. She struggled to find words to describe how awful she found seeing the destruction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos....wow..you're coming my way..you'll love it! ...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sydney - wonderful!!!

    This may be my favorite quilt yet - so bold and cheery at the same time! LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy moly! It's gorgeous, and it does look like it suggests wonderful possibilities and opportunities!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures always leave me so thoughtful and quiet. The thought of you reliving Jame's fear is terrible to me. That's a pain that stays. I hope facing it helps a little. My thoughts are often with you. By the way, the quilt is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your quilt and as always the place is so well chosen....... It's heartbraking to see this all

    ReplyDelete
  11. oooh its beautiful! im sure they will love it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. We love it already....can't wait to get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the idea of photographing your quilt against the backdrop of our city. From the diamond chain link pattern of the fencing to the geometry of the city structures in the background, your quilt at once echoes the shapes around it as well as providing a soft, warm contrast. Fantastic! You've bought beauty back into the CBD. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!