Thursday, August 4, 2011

A birthday quilt for nana....

My sweet mother-in-law is going to be 89 in a few weeks
and I dug through my bee blocks to make her this.
I'm on a mission at the moment to finish things off
and so there (technically) should be lots of show and tell!!

I popped it in the car this morning with the camera
(love having the camera back)
and Miss Annie whose tummy is playing up
(hello 7am bath and carpet scrub)

We went down Ferry Road and took these pictures
just before the old pub there was completely pulled down.
My MIL doesn't drink so I did feel a bit funny taking
her quilt pictures by the pub, but oh well!

I asked the Bee Improvised and the Freedom group to make traditional type 
blocks for her and they really did a great job
(there's a companion quilt to this one for her sister)

The sun was shining but this really isn't a bright quilt
the colour is actually about spot on.

I tried to lie the blocks out random, but actually looking
at this picture, isn't maybe not as random as it could be
and put some blocks of fabric in as well to set the pieced blocks off.

It's really lovely, thanks so much to all who helped with this.
I feel like the caretaker rather than the creator of it.

Love me a windmill block!

I actually made that corner block.
I can do it, I don't know why it always scares me.
I

Christchurch is a city of fences and road cones.
After our photo shoot Annie and I drove about
the edges of the Red Zone (where we can't go)
so much demolition at the moment.
I don't want to go on about it,
but it is heartbreaking.
It's hard to explain what it feels like to see old familiar buildings
just being torn down and taken away.

This is my absolute favourite block.
I think I'm going to have to master paper piecing,
can anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial?

That's the back of the pub, it's all over!
Sorry to end on another demo picture
but this is the church I photographed this week.
The manse is down as well.
It was Opawa Methodist for many years
and now the Opawa Community Church.
No matter how much you know that they have to come down
you wish they didn't.

Kia Kaha Christchurch
Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. 
Helen Keller 

4 comments:

  1. LOVE the quilt
    LOVE the Helen Keller saying - there is SO much truth in that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Kaha. It's a beautiful quilt. I visited Chch two years ago. It is heartbreaking for me to see the destruction in your beautiful city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 places close to home for me - we live right by that Ferrymead pub and I was shocked to go out yesterday and discover it in a pile of broken pieces. Also, Opawa community was the church my husband went to when he was young. His best friends dad is the pastor there and we have a great relationship with them. The church is still going strong, elsewhere though.

    What a shame to see such history brought down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ask and you shall receive!
    http://sometimescrafter.blogspot.com/2009/08/tutorial-paper-piecing-block.html

    Deb, are you interested in coming along to the Canterbury Modern Quilt Guild meetings? Meetings at Stitch on Colombo St, Second Thursday of the month, 7pm.

    Love reading your blog!
    Michelle
    needlefood@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!