Sunday, August 21, 2011

Would you like tears with your breakfast???

This morning Chrissy and I stood in our kitchen
and held each other tight and shed tears.
It's six months today since the earthquake that changed 
our lives for ever.
Here is Chrissy's story of the day.

On that day we all got up and rushed around
and the teenagers barely said goodbye as they rushed out the door.
Even James says "I love you" now when he goes home
to his new flat where he supports himself
working full time. He's 15.
Like I say, Life Has Changed.
Here is his friend Charles' story.
James was with him.
James doesn't talk about it.

We take nothing for granted now
and we pretty much always know where everyone is.
It's best when everyone is safe at home in bed!
On the 22 my sister Jo was my hero,
she did what I couldn't do because I couldn't be 
in two places at one and I had to make a terrible choice.
Here is her story.


The hardest part about the earthquakes
and subsequent aftershocks
(over 8000 of them)
is that we now know we can't trust the ground
it's not safe. Holes open and swallow cars,
water and silt pour out of it,
rocks fall on people. It's kinda scary to live with.
My mum discovered that. 
She walked across a smooth carpark to get coffee
and watched it buck and buckle before her eyes.
Here is her story.

I stood a few months ago looking at the cordon on Colombo St
(can you believe that's been there for six months?)
and wondered if Christchurch would survive.

A verse from the Bible popped into my head....

a bruised reed he will not break, and a faintly burning wick he will not quench;

God with us, we will continue to get through this.

11 comments:

  1. Oh Deb, I cant even begin to imagine ... 8000 aftershocks as well!! how disconcerting after such a shocking earthquake. Love and prayers are with you all today and everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fat tears are dropping into my porridge as I read your heart wrenching post this morning Deb...
    Your ordeal is unimaginable.
    My prayers continue to go out for you all.
    xo, Kali

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're all an inspiration. Well done on you all for staying and dealing with it - Cannot imagine how hard it must be. Big hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Deb - no words - just massive amounts of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Growing up in Wellington I am no stranger to earthquakes...I hate them with a passion. I cannot even begin to imagine what you have been through and continue to go through.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. lots of love my friend - very moving post

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah I'm crying in my eyes. :)
    Achy for you too.
    Need to find you and hang out...

    15???!!!!! Oh dear Lord.
    Huge {hug}
    As we remember.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And now I have just gone back and read all the stories. with shivers down my spine, and even more tears...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never experienced a natural disaster or war but I imagine they are perhaps a little similar. With war there is someone to blame, someone to direct your anger towards... But with an earthquake who do you blame? How do you deal with the greif? I pray that those precious children are able to deal with their pain and it doesn't rule their life. Hugs and kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have chills...my heart is breaking for you all over again. i will never be able to fathom what all of you have seen and experienced. i am so glad you have the comfort we can find in God.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These photos are gut-wrenching. I can't imagine what it must be like, but feel for you all so much and I get so sad when I think of all the wonderful times I've spent in Christchurch.
    Kia kaha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!