Friday, September 16, 2011

Look what I found in the sewing room (1)

My first task this week was to find myself a cleaner and that accomplished I began room by room to tidy our house and put away the accumulated stuff that had gathered so that when our house got cleaned, it would look tidy also!


My sewing space had exploded with the departure of the sewing machine and when the machine returned there was no space for it (surprise surprise!!). On Thursday I got stuck in and sorted it all out, it actually didn't take long, it doesn't does it? It's just the thinking about it that does! I have a stack of 7 quilt sandwiches for quilting and once I'd tidied the room I quilted two small ones and last night sat and sewed the binding down while watching the All Blacks v Japan Rugby World Cup Game.



This morning I had to get up at 6.30 to take Chrissy (the aspiring security guard) to work and so I threw my trust camera and the two quilts into the car. This quilt I started before the 22 Feb for friends of ours who were both turning 40 that week. In fact that was one of the things I was going home to do that day. Needless to say the party never happened and the quilt never got finished! However now it has and I hope the new owners like it. It's a lap quilt, perfect for popping over your knees while watching TV.


I have to say the part of town where I took pictures this morning is profoundly depressing. Our Town Hall has an uncertain future, the Convention Centre is coming down, the Crown Plaza Hotel and the Copthorne Hotel, all coming down. It's downright creepy to see the windows open and the curtains blowing in the breeze. Sends shivers down your spine. Hard to keep on being an up person in a city that's coming down. Just saying.

Still I'm happy with the quilt and it's nice mix of colours, I'll deliver it this week. Oh just incase someone wants to know, I cut these tumblers on the Accucutter at Stitch.

BTW I've just decided to make the pictures bigger on my blog, is this better or worse??

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt...I love the tumbler pattern...sorry that it reminded you of the earthquake. I guess there are a lot of daily reminders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt pattern looks difficult! I am glad you have quilting to bring you joy. I like the bigger pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bigger pictures are better for the 40 and over crowd, so thanks! ;o) Sad to see that those buildings have to come down. Hard to believe things can change so much in one day. Nice quilt! Hope all the kiddos are well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bigger pictures are great. Your landscape is depressing (because its coming down) but I hope the bright colours of this quilt and the act of giving, keep giving you that boost you need. Happy quilting, Sue SA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the bigger pictures too. I haven't been to look at that side of town; going to miss the old Parkroyal (I know it's not called that anymore, but to me it's always been the Parkroyal).

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty and happy quilt! :)

    Bigger pictures are great!! Your dimensions for your columns need to be extended slightly though so the pictures dont go over the line :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the bigger pictures. they look great. the tumblers are so fun. the colors and shapes just make the quilt move

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the quilt looks great. I always like the tumbler pattern and these fabrics suit it.
    Isn't it amazing how quickly you can use every space in your sewing room. I am convinced that if I had a huge room I would still clutter it up!
    The larger photos look great - clear and good quality.
    The buildings in your photos are like time capsules. And I suppose they are - that's when every thing stopped for them. With all the demolition and hopefully new construction, what is the time expectation? Is the city looking at a 5 or 10 year plan to rebuild the main centre. I know they will have to revise building codes and do a lot of testing but have there been any estimates on that?
    Good luck getting all the quilting done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. its a beautiful quilt! i love that pattern and i am waiting to get a cutter to make it! call me lazy!

    I love that your sharing your experience through pictures. I haven't experienced earthquakes but i have a hurricane and i took alot of pictures then, the pictures told the story better than i could have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW love love love the colours in this quilt xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your lovely bright tumbler quilt and also love the bigger photos!! Yes the thinking about tidying up definitely takes longer than the actual doing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the quilt...I think I am going to go through my fabric and make a simple colourful quilt...I miss playing with pretty things...oh..and how do you make the pictured bigger..I have wanted to do that for ages...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous quilt and I love bigger pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. bigger pictures great! i can only imagine how hard it is staying up when much of your city is coming down...your quilts are a bright and beautiful juxtaposition to all that damage deb. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. great quilt!
    big pictures are better for my failing eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Big pictures are great for those of us getting a bit on the old side.

    Loving that quilt!!! Loving your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this quilt! You are amazing, you have got to do a book on your Earthquake quilts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!