Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Bloggers Quilt Festival: My Picking up the Pieces Quilt

Here's my entry for the Bloggers Quilt Festival.
Have you been over there yet?
It's amazing, I think I'm 486 or something!
Anyway I finally found somewhere big enough to hang my quilt and take some pictures.
Can you see how tiny this quilt makes my helper look?

100s and 100s of two and a half inch squares make the basis of this quilt
from the Material Obsession book.
I love love love how it's turned out. I am thrilled to bits how beautiful it is.

You like? Now where did I hang it??

I have been photographing my quilts this year on the fences around our broken city
last weekend we got back into the CBD for the first time since February,
but still a large part of our CBD is fenced off.
For my Picking up the Pieces Quilt, I chose
AMI Stadium on the $62 million dollar stand built for the Rugby World Cup
but which was wrecked on February 22.

They haven't really told us yet, but hints have been given
it seems no games will ever be played at this Stadium again. 
It's wrecked. Also the turf was not insured and the liquifaction completely ruined it.

Anyway on the bright side, it makes an awesome quilt rack.

Do go and visit the Quilt Festival.
There are amazing quilts there.

18 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Quilt!!!! LOVE IT! I hope you win a prize :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great quilt for the festival, Deb. It looks wonderful. There are so many gorgeous fabrics and colours in there. A perfect name.
    Your quilt looks stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing! I can't believe how big it is! So much effort and love must have gone into it, it's beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the quilt :) , love the helper :) , love AMI stadium :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh what a poignant post..

    Another lovely quilt Deb.
    And...this is my favourite!!!!

    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this quilt! And having Annie-Rose help makes it all the prettier =)

    That is a LARGE quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your quilt! And I think it has been so wonderful that you take pictures of your quilts, around your city. It reminds me that you all are still rebuilding and continue to need our prayers. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is beautiful...and speaks so well to the changes in your world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow those pieces are certainly tiny! But it looks so great together and I like your photography. Keep up the great work! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely quilt and it's so beautiful against the backdrop of the unfinished stadium. Very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful full of wonderful happy colours! And so many squares!! Great place to take photos! It can be so hard to find a good place to take good photos. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's stunning Deb. What a wonderful quilt. This one will be an heirloom loved and cherished for many years to come. Love the use of the stadium too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just about the loveliest quilt I've ever seen. And the perfect name for it too. Inspired us of the stadium. How lovely to bring colour to such desolation. C.x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely quilt. Shame that after a few short weeks of world wide news Christchurch is forgotten and we all just presume it is business as usual. Really sad to see this is not the case.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, ich schaue mir gerade ein paar nette Blogs an um mir neue Ideen zu holen. Ich nähe derzeit viel Kinderstoffe und
    Patchworkstoffe, macht mir echt viel Spass. Dein Blog gefällt mir sehr gut. Lieben Gruss

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adore the quilt it is fantastic. It really coordinates well with the model and the back drop cool.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very beautiful Deb!! All those beautiful fabrics go together so well. Just stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!