Friday, December 30, 2011

Good bye 2011....

2011 has been quite a ride,
all I can say, is thank God that it is over!

We've learned that the lessons you teach your kids,
will stick with them when they are teens,
even though you wonder if they have.

We learnt that you can be just as proud of a kid that gets out of bed every morning and goes to work
as the kid who studies hard at school to gain credits by sweat and tears.

We learnt that cuddles and a quilt to snuggle in will make most kids feel safer.
We learnt that we can't fix everything, 
but our kids still want us too, and they still hope we will.


There has been lots of downs about 2011 to be sure,
but lots of lessons learned.
We've learned about friendship and community,
about sticking together and supporting each other.

We've learned to keep the cell phone charged and the emergency kit filled,
we've learned to tell each other where we are going
and always know how to get out (or under).

We've learned that clean drinking water is more precious than gold,
and power is more of a luxury.

We've learned more about earthquakes than we though possible,
and somehow those lessons are going to carry us on through 2012.

We've learned to keep the important things as the main thing,
and not to worry about things that don't matter so much.
(like that 20kg I never lost)

I can only hope and pray that 2012 will be a lot lot better,
and that mother nature will be kind to us as the ground settles down slowly.

But whatever happens, I know that my faith does sustain me,
I believe in the sun even when it doesn't shine,
I believe in God, even when I can't see Him.

And I'm not going to let that go now.
I'm going to walk into 2012 bravely with a smile on my face,
and hope in my heart that we will grow stronger
and closer together whatever happens.

And that's a good way to start the year isn't it?

Where ever you are, I hope that the plans you make for 2012,
include faith that will carry you through.

15 comments:

  1. Oh yes. Its been quite a year.Including today :).
    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that the land settles for you all and that the weather sorts itself out - our little islands need to rest and get back to being paradise on earth.
    Good luck to you and yours for 2012 Deb
    hugs - Miche'le

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to sharing more of the journey with you in 2012 my beautiful friend. Love that first photo and David's quilt?? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh - what a well written post.
    I wish you guys a happy and safe year to come. Lets all move on and get on with things!!XXXJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful post Deb. What a wonderful positive take on such a tough year for you and your family.
    Hope 2012 is a great one for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh and I meant to say - I LOVe hearing so many beautiful and positive things about your teenage children. It is so lovely to hear.
    I think society tells us to expect the worst for teens, but it is lovely to hear about GREAT family minded teens! you should be very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always think of you when we hear about the shakes, lets hope 2012 is a more settled year!
    Happy new year to you all!!
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well put Deb, I hope the best for you and yours in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great post! Happy New Year!! May 2012 be such a wonderful year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hayy New Year Deb. I hope 2012 is a wonderful year for you. Your great blog is an inspiration. Long may it continue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wishing you and your loved ones a safe and settled 2012 Deb.
    It was an absolute pleasure to meet you in 2011 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wishing you and your family the most amazing (and peaceful) 2012. So glad you had a lovely Christmas. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I believe you will walk bravely into 2012, as you did so in 2011.

    Happy New Year.
    blessings,
    jilly

    ReplyDelete
  14. ‎,

    ¸☆´.•´
    .•´✶`*.
    *.*★v . ✶•´ ☆´,•*´¨★
    ¸✶.•´¸.•*´✶
    ☆´¸.•★´ ¸.✶* ☆★
    ╱◥◣
    │∩ │◥███◣ ╱◥███◣
    ╱◥◣ ◥████◣▓∩▓│∩
    │╱◥█◣║∩∩∩ ║◥█▓ ▓█
    ๑۩๑๑۩๑๑۩๑๑۩๑๑۩๑๑۩๑๑۩
    ۩๑ ӇƛƤƤƳ ƝЄƜ ƳЄƛƦ!﹗๑۩

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's been a little while since I popped by your blog and only just read this post now. Wow. So well written Deb. Such a fabulous post. I hope that mother nature is much kinder to you guys this year, you all sure do deserve a break!

    Happy 2012!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!