Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My Creative Space: Sometimes the inspiration just strikes....

The leaves are just beginning to turn down south,
here and there a hint of yellow and a cold breeze that lets you know
that autumn is here. Sunshiny days and cold nights.

I can't wait to go back at Easter and visit Arrowtown.
I've never been there, but the autumn leaves a spectacular.
I'm excited about seeing them for myself.

Yellow speckled here and there, like this leaf, just quietly
signaling autumn is here.
I wanted to rush home and pull out all my scraps
and sort through them.

I wanted yellow with hints of red and green
I wanted to dig in the piles and see what I could find.

I told David on the way home, my desire
to just sort and cut and sew.
And when we got home, he said go for it while he emptied the car.

I pulled out this basket, it's one of my goals to sew my way through this basket
this year. This is the first project.

Out came all the yellows, some reds and a hint of green.

I sewed them together in random pieces
and then cut 6 1/2 in squares. Some of the scraps were big enough to cut
6 1/2 in squares complete.

Annie claimed the top immediately, she wanted to try it out.

Chrissy held it up for me in the light.

I laid it on the floor and admired it (and took this terrible picture before I dropped it off at my LQS)
it made me happy, very very happy.
It didn't take long, a couple of hours on Sunday night and an hour on Monday morning
while the washing washed and before we went grocery shopping.

Sometimes you just have to do it, really you do.
If you would like to make a scrappy autumn quilt too
I've stuffed the scraps from this in a bag. It's full to the brim.
It's $10NZ  if anyone wants it, (plus postage)
let me know and we can make arrangements to send it to you.

More crafty types here.

11 comments:

  1. Those colors are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are looking forward to Fall because I am looking forward to Spring in my part of the world.
    I wish I knew how to quilt because it would be fun to get bag of your scraps and snoop through them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the excitement in this post and the quilt is gorgeous, can't wait to see it quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous quilt and gorgeous fabrics too. I'd be keen to buy the remnants if they're not claimed already. I am in VIC Aus. How much do you think it'd be to post it to my neck of the woods? If you want you can email me at huntjo 24 at hotmail dot com

    Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How have you not been to Arrowtown? You WILL LOVE IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the excitement and spontaneity of this post, and what a gorgeous top you have created, I love the colours

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when you get that fire in your belly sort of inspiration. Your husband is a bit of a gem eh? - what understanding!

    The result is beautiful - I'm really drawn to yellows lately... maybe its a seasonal thing. Remind me to ask you who you use for quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colours of autumn are so much more prominent down your way. Lovely inspiring photos and love your very scrappy quilt top that you whipped up so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like the way you sewed scraps together and then made squares from that. I can see another wonderful quilt in the making.
    What material do you use for the batting? I'm just about to embark on my first machine sewn quilt and would love any tips.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Inspiring. Gorgeous result!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!