Monday, May 28, 2012

The boy crafts a quilt....

Annie has a basket of scraps and her toy ironing board
and an old heavy iron she dragged out from under the wardrobe with the cord cut off.
She spends hours sorting and cutting her fabrics.

But last night Reuben decided to get in on the act.
He started laying fabrics on a piece of fabric
and I remembered Amanda's ticker tape quilt and told him to find a piece of batting.

It was all on then. He got to and busily sorted and cut his fabrics to fit.
I said they had to overlap and I plan to sew around each piece by machine.

I love what he did. It was that witching hour just before dinner
when sometimes the wheels fall off.
But with Reuben and Annie happily engaged in their quilting project
I got dinner on with no bother at all.

I'm thinking his pinning will drive me nuts, but we'll work with that!
It's funny because I had read this post in the morning about a crafting boy
and I'm sure it helped push me over to the "yes" rather than "maybe later".


It was a nice peaceful end to the day.
All gathered together warm and cosy (it was dark soooo early last night)
quietly working on our projects while the dinner finished cooking
and we wait for Nana to come for dinner.


I love these little boys hands doing their serious work!


He did a great job and is supremely happy with it.


I'm going to have to re-fill the scrap basket.
I did discover a couple of fat quarters of my precious Denyse Schmidt
fabrics had sneaked in there and promptly took them back.
Don't worry I have plenty of scraps to share!!


16 comments:

  1. this is brilliant. he did a fantastic job. i can not wait to see what the finished product looks like.
    Delilah has one piece of FMF fabric from my scraps...it is the grey seeds and it can be no bigger than 2x3, but she loves it and takes it all around the house and sticks it to herself and other things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt is great, Deb! And whats better is he did it on his own initiative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great eye. Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is going to be one very treasured little quilt - I love that he's so carefully lay each piece out and pinned them. Can't wait to see it all finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is going to be one very treasured little quilt - I love that he's so carefully lay each piece out and pinned them. Can't wait to see it all finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so impressed with his work. I know you are proud of hime. Wish more children (boys and girls) would get interested. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I should think like a child more, they are normally far more imaginative and less worried about colour clashes!
    Awesome job, are you sewing it up?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I should think like a child more, they are normally far more imaginative and less worried about colour clashes!
    Awesome job, are you sewing it up?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diamond days.... Let's face it though with such beautiful scraps one can not fail to create more beauty.
    Well done to you also, you caught the moment and encouraged the process. Thats what mummas do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this - he has done such a brilliant job.
    And obviously enjoyed the process!x

    ReplyDelete
  11. a scrap basket thats an awesome idea, thanks for sharing..o and your boy did a lovely job :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Deb he is going to be SO proud of this quilt and as he gets older and understands the process more he will also be so grateful for the mama you are to allow him this joy. You are a fantastic mum and I am SO inspired by this post. Love you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so very cool. It looks amazing! And you were so great to suggest/allow him to do it. It's much too easy to say "erm...maybe not right now".

    ReplyDelete
  14. good on him, it looks like it needs quite a bit of concentration, and the fabric mix is so cheerful. and hey speaking of cheerful things, thank you so much for the coooool cushion cover xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. So great! Well done him and well done you. Makes for happy memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that Chrissy has her toes crossed. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!