Saturday, May 19, 2012

“Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell.”

David and I took our cameras into town this morning very early.
A new piece of the red zone had opened and we wanted to see it
and experience it.

[glass from the CTV building]

There is so much cleared ground.
I searched and searched for signs of the life we had before.

[once there was a cafe here]

So much life has been taken from the city,
all the hustle and bustle has gone. It's now quiet land, waiting waiting.

[someone's forgotten dust mask]

I stood in my boots scuffed from falling recently on the rough ground,
and pondered how the ground shaking caused such chaos
and now such calm.

[broken cobbles]

The sites are being cleared and sanitised.
But you can't help remembering the ones who left this world here.

[lost glove]

The weirdest thing is that we are still here.
I stopped and spoke to another woman. 
We talked about how the buildings are gone but the people are still here.
We are more resilient now than we ever imagined we could be.

[coat hanger from some clothing store]


Whole blocks are gone, going, fenced off.
But as it all gets tidied up there is a sense of hope
maybe we can build something amazing here.

[the Press site, folks were so brave here]

[fat hen plant on the Press site]

[mug lying on footpath]

I think we are going to make it myself.

This is a fragment of some computer part I found on the ground.
Christchurch business have found strength to carry on,
not all of them, but lots of them.

I wonder who delivered this parcel and what happened to them.
Things that seemed so important on the morning of the 22 Feb
no longer are important.

[gouges on the ground, someone died here]

“The storm starts, when the drops start dropping
When the drops stop dropping then the storm starts stopping.”
― Dr. Seuss

10 comments:

  1. I can't imagine what you've all been through and it is certainly amazing how much resilience the people of Christchurch have. Seeing remnants of once was is... I can't think of the word but I guess you know the feeling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some amazing photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. We visited town yesterday and its so strange to see the piles of rubble and how broken everything is. The places of memories and normal are there but replaced with memories for the 22nd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos, beautiful sentiments xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's a trans Tasman hug((((((((((((()))))))))))))).

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow Deb, i can see in your writing that these trips are cathartic in some way for you and your family...i am so glad that you are a survivor and that you are out there in blogland still opening our eyes up to what others go through....and how strong you all in Christchurch are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very moving post. Big hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just read this now....

    Far out hun, these are actually some of the most poignant post EQ photos I have seen.
    Such sadness... and it's actually ok for us to say that it is sad and not always be saying how hopeful everything is.

    How did you get into the redzone? Where were you?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!