Monday, May 7, 2012

Works in Progress: Dresden Plate

I've decided to work on one unfinished project at a time until they are all done.
There may or may not be 10 of them, ahem.
Did I mention that? maybe not.
Anyone this one is finally making progress.

Chrissy has been a bit poorly so I've been keeping her company,
working away on this project. 
It's tedious, slow work. Ages ago I'd sewn all the short ends of the petals
and I had to trim and turn them all.

Then I sewed them into circles of sixteen.
That didn't take long really.
And now I'm sewing them onto their bright backings.

I've decided to run a machine stitch around the centre of the circle,
just to fasten it down.

These two fabrics are going to be the centres,
I haven't sewn them yet. I'll sew the flower down first.

This is going to be the backing. I'm going to insert a spare dresden somehow.


I just love tiny hand stitches. I like to make them show just a little,
so I remember I did them by hand.
I love the wee surprises as you sew, seeing the colours match unexpectedly.

The petals are all random colours, and the backings are pinks and aqua/blues.
I think it's going to be lovely, at least I hope so.

I like a portable project that you can easily cart around the place.
Just a needlecase, a roll of thread and a pair of sharp scissors.

And a good number of pins.
My pin cushion is looking empty.

I can keep all the pieces in the lovely bag Louana made for me.
People often comment how patient I must be,
but I don't see it as patience, just plodding on from one stage to the next.

And it waits patiently in my basket for the next step.

7 comments:

  1. Loved this Good Morning post! Lovely pictures, lovely details of your quilting with care :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plates do take a little bit of work don't they, but well worth it in the end. Your Quilt will look amazing when it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, that is going to be a beautiful quilt! Love your color combos!! I really love that pink bike fabric! And your new header is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deb, I've nominated you for a Versatile Blogger Award as I really enjoy reading your blog. I won't be offended if you'd rather not take part, and I hope you don't mind being nominated. All details are on my blog. Thanks, fi x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing as usual, I see the slow progress as meditative, the steady sewing, the slowing down of life as we sit quietly creating. I hope your Chrissy is well again, and I bet she loves your company and the quilts too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all looks so beautiful! How I love quilts! I have some vintage dresden plate pieces that were my Gran's. I keep vowing someday I'll get them made up into a quilt. Beautiful hand stitching by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *blush* I started the Dresden Plate quiltalong, I really did. Then we moved to the USA and umm, I have NO IDEA where it is. But I know I must've brought it with me because it was in Sydney and everything in Sydney came with us.... It was cute too - all shades of mauve and purple, to go on white.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!