I've had an idea rolling about in my head the last week or so for a quilt with words on.
Elizabeth at Oh Fransson has a good tutorial,
but I wanted it to look like I'd just written the words on.
I tore up a bunch of scraps to a similar size and laid them out.
I used plain pink for the wording all from my stash.
I used left over bits and pieces from various quilts,
you know the bits that are big but not big enough for another whole quilt.
I decided to try something different and used a blanket for the backing
and then bagged it through.
Which is to say I sewed all the way around and left a gap for turning.
I'm actually really stoked how it turned out.
I'm going to sew all around the edge and then tie it here and there.
I've never tried a tied quilt before, but I thought this would suit it.
I used visofix to hold down the letters and raw edge appliqued them.
I'm loving it so far.
I actually have plans for a Christmas Quilt pattern to share
and with quite a few modifications,
something like this could work.
Here's the start of the edge. It makes it look like a rolled edge, I quite like it.
It's really thick and heavy with the blanket plus batting,
but a heavy blanket is great for settling a child's central nervous system if they are stressed
so I think this will be perfect for the kiddos.
Annie has given it an Annie tick of approval!!
If you want to make a Christmas version of this, (it will look a bit different)
look out for an old blanket and some Christmassy fat quarters.
I'll work on the pattern.