Monday, September 24, 2012

Dorothy's toffee...

Today I went to the funeral of this sweet old lady called Dorothy.
She was the sweetest nicest lady you could possibly hope to meet.
She never had a bad word for anybody and always looked on the bright side of life.
Her faith shone brightly in everything she did.
She was a humble lady, and in so being, she inspired us all.

I remember her as the one person in my childhood (apart from my parents)
who was always loving and kind.
She never said a harsh word or judged you in any way.
You felt completely safe when you were with her.

She was an amazing baker and I remember she made the best toffee in the world.
She had a tin of it and she let you choose from the delicious chunks therein.

This afternoon when Reuben comes home from school,
I want to be like her for just an afternoon,
sweet and serene. But seeing as that won't might not happen,
I'm going to make her toffee (she gave me the recipe years ago)

Dorothy's Toffee

2 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons water
a small tablespoon of vinegar and a pinch of salt
a walnut sized lump of butter

Boil quickly for 15 minutes. Stir all the time.
Test frequently in a glass of cold water. When it reached soft ball stage, 
Pour into a buttered dish.
Cut immediately. Very sticky, sweet and lovely!


8 comments:

  1. I think it will happen, in fact I think it already has. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet tribute. I'm sure I wouldn't have any of those nice things said about me when I'm gone, but it's something to strive for. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I think the old ones handed down for generations are best. Sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dorothy lives on in your memory and words. Now for a peaceful afternoon, place lots of toffee either in your mouth or Childs......no one can talk ...peaceful and serene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Deb for a very special tribute to a wonderful Mother-in-law, and Nana. Will try out that recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of the peaceful afternoon :)
    What a lovely tribute Deb xxx
    You are a kind hearted soul

    ReplyDelete
  6. She sounds like a lovely lady and very similar to an elderly lady who used to be our neighbour that I now miss very much. Such good role models for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel we are so alike in so many ways! What a lovely post! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a lovely way to honor this sweet lady! I will have to try that toffee...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!