Saturday, November 24, 2012

My Creative Space: A Quilt for a Baby...

I just finished this little quilt last week for the newborn son of someone we work with.
I used a jelly roll to make the stripes and then a couple of borders.
I didn't want to make it too big,
more for putting over him in the car seat or pram.

His dad drives a ute exactly like this,
so we googled the make and enlarged it on the photocopier.
Then I traced it onto visafix (any fusible interfacing will work) 
and ironed it onto some blue velvet fabric I have in my stash.

Then I cut out the traced line and peeled the backing paper off and pressed my ute to the fabric.
I then used one of my sewing machine stitches to edge the ute and do some 
features like the doors and mudguards. (This doesn't really show in the photo)

Slightly blurry picture of the edging.
Anyway then I finished off the quilt with backing and battting,
sewed around the edge to make it stable,
but still really soft and sort of floaty.

And it's all done. Off to it's new home.
His dad was pretty stoked with it I think.
I wish I'd thought to put the dog in the back too, that would have been a cute feature!

3 comments:

  1. I just love the way you make quilts almost daily it seems

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awesome! Love the ute - perfect for a little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute!!! My husband walked by while I was reading and he noticed the 'Dodger' blue truck (the Dodgers are his lifelong favorite baseball team). He wants to know if he will get a quilt like that. LOL.

    Wonderful job Deb.
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!