Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Thursday Tutorial: Fabric Buckets from 1/4" Mark...


Every now and again you come across a new to you blog that makes your heart sing. Last week I came across Chase's blog and was inspired anew. When I saw this bucket, I knew I needed to make it for a couple of special people!
Picture from 1/4" Mark Blog
All the instructions are on the easy to follow tutorial. I started with a pile of largish scraps, leftovers etc that looked like they might marry together. I had vintage sheet for the lining and some stripes I thought I could use to make handles rather than buy the webbing.

Putting fabrics together is probably my favourite part of a project
although the more I do, the more I enjoy piecing.

I laid it out generally on my design wall floor
just to check I had enough scraps of the right sort of sizes.

I think that's the last of the bird fabric.
For a long time I collected bird fabric and made three quilts for three special girls
and since then the scraps have crept into many many projects!


Then I pressed all the scraps and put them in a bowl
so I could just pull them and sew without thinking too much.

I really like the happy coincidence with scraps. 
Like the owl's breast and the green that go so well together.
I absolutely love how this turned out.
Ok to be fair, I made a rubbish job of the free-motion quilting.
And I didn't use stiff enough interfacing so I had to fold down the top to make it stand up.

But I really really like it.
I also like that its so wonky I can't give it away
and so I get to keep it. 

I've already started two more for gifts. 
It's a fantastic project, I can see myself making these often.
Pop over to see Chase and get the full tutorial
and share some love while you are there.
I'm sure you need a couple for that Christmas to-do list,
or for a new baby, or a two-year old's blocks
or really 101 other uses.

9 comments:

  1. That looks great. I'm going to check it out. Love your fabrics and I'm delighted you made it wonky so you can keep it. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks awesome Deb - I'd love to have the odd post on blogs you recommend too - you seem to find real treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it, although yours doesn't look too wonky to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fabulous idea - I need something to put Mum's christmas present it - a needlepoint kit I'm putting together - this will be just right :-) thanks for sharing Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so great! I really think your large prints are work so well together and I do love how you folded your bucket inside out on the top! That's one of the variation I am working on. Thank you~ Chase

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it - am sooo making some in the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO awesome Deb! You have such a gift for colours and working your scraps!!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great project and so clever to add a bit of wonkiness so you get to keep it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a fabulous gift...practical and colourful xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!