Friday, December 7, 2012

The best things in life are not things, it’s the people who make you feel loved and cared for...

Well yesterday we hung the bag up for the last time
and put the lunch tin on the kai table for the last time.

We've helped with the epic clean up we do each session for the last time.

The tables are wiped and the dress-ups are all hung on the rack.

I've scrubbed the painting easels for the last time and put fresh paper on them
for the children next week. But I won't see the paintings they do.

I've made my last batch of play dough and scrubbed the paint pots and brushes for the last time.
I wiped the sink out all shiny for the next mum who cleans there.

All the artwork is hung, labelled for the little artists to take home next week.
I've collected all of Annie's art from the art box and brought home her profile book.

I've put up a new display on the wall for the last time.

We took Archie with us for one last morning of play,
"I'm going to take such good care of you Archie" she said.
My eyes leaked a little.

Annie and I are saying good bye to Playcentre.
It's bittersweet. It's sweet because next year Annie is going to our lovely, local Steiner kindy.
We've met her teacher Ellen, and we love it there so much.
Annie is going to love it too. It's a warm, welcoming caring environment.
We are truly blessed to have a place there. It's exciting.
But it's so sad to say goodbye to our very good friends at Playcentre.
Thank you so much each and everyone of you,
who made us welcome and let us do our thing there.

I've learned so much about myself and how to work with others,
I've learned how to be a better mother,
and how to provide a learning environment.

I wanted to sit in the family corner and sob with my head on the table.
I wanted to lie on the floor and have a tantrum.
Somehow I don't think I'll ever be actually ready to move on from this stage.
I've enjoyed Annie being little so so much.
I've loved being able to be her teacher and extending her learning myself.
I can thank Playcentre for the opportunity to do that.
PS
Now I just have to make a confession.
Annie has never had a birthday cake at Playcentre because her birthday is in the holidays.
So today we had a cake and candles and sung happy birthday.
She will always remember that cake with it's sparkly candles
(we took loads of photos)
and won't remember it wasn't her birthday!!

It's the wonderful redemption that sometimes happens when you parent little ones.

7 comments:

  1. What can I say....it's 5.30am and I'm bawling like a baby!! Firsts are exciting but lasts are so hard. While I can say I prepared my kids well for their transitions to 'big school' and they did well, I on the otherhand didn't!!! There is something magical about those pre-school years.....You're an awesome mum! And big huge hugs for surviving the last day xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that she's going to the Steiner kindy!!!! I went to Steiner school for 6 years, and I LOVED it!! I so wish there was a Steiner kindy/school up here, as it is there are no nice schools to choose from... Might have to do Steiner homeschool. Leaving something you love is never easy, but I'm sure you will both find so much to love at her new kindy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb you make me cry!!! I love those candles and cake its.just.so.right!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's another one with a tear in her eye. I remember the last times that I had to go through with the baby of the family. It is hard knowing that this stage of your life is over. Chin up, you did really well getting through the day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool post. Everything is for a season though. I love appreciating the season I am in and moving onto something new. Well done you for working with Playcentre so well

    ReplyDelete
  6. We in Aotearoa are so blessed to have Playcentre. We loved our under 5 years at Playcentre...and you will love Ellen too;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is such a beautiful marking of a turning point in your lives - and...going to a Steiner Kindy - awesome - I've just completed my Certificate in Rudolf Steiner Education (part-time, all year) and doing Steiner home-ed with Phoebe - loving it! hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!