Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Venturing into the central city....

Bit by by the cordon around our central city is being reduced.
Very very slowly to be honest.
We can walk down a pathway to Victoria square.
The town hall looks incredibly sad really.

The famous fountain flows no longer
and the manicured grounds are grown over with weeds.

The demolition firms still count the CBC as their domain.
On and on the demolition goes.

Terrified office workers abseiled out of these windows on Feb 22, 2011.
Imagine it.

Apparently there are still 900 buildings to demolish.

But the council has made the gardens in this space beautiful
like a sample of how the city used to be.



The Forsyth Barr building is the tallest building left in Christchurch,
but apparently it's coming down.

I did find Victoria Square really really sad,
inspite of the beautiful plantings.


On the other side of this bridge,
there used to be the Crown Plaza hotel, not sky like there is now.

I sometimes wonder how it is to grow up only knowing a city destroyed by earthquakes.
Annie talks about wobbles sometimes...
"The wobbles broke the shops mummy" or "The wobbles broke that path mummy"

I wonder how she will feel about this when she is a teenager.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Deb. Words fail me. I can't even fathom the emotions that must be you everyday life. Big huge hugs to you, your family and all of Christchurch xx
    As for Annie…I hope she learns that the wobbles may have broken the buildings and paths but they can't break the spirit of community, strength, love and hope. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This just breaks my heart, as it has ever since I first heard of the quakes and began reading your blog. Someday, Christchurch will have a new and vibrant central business district, someday the quake will be an event in history and not so much in memory-may that day come sooner rather than later. Blessed be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Deb, it is heartbreaking to see the city like this, a city that I used to love to come and visit, I loved all the buildings and the vibrancy, it's hard to believe that this could be possible, I can't imagine how it must feel to live there. You are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Deb, it is heartbreaking to see the city like this, a city that I used to love to come and visit, I loved all the buildings and the vibrancy, it's hard to believe that this could be possible, I can't imagine how it must feel to live there. You are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't imagine how it is to have your city in pieces. I'm sorry this befell your home.
    But I must also say I am impressed by how quickly nature reclaims places.

    ReplyDelete
  6. its really a great thing that you blog about your city and what happened to it (and what is still happening)seeing it through your eyes and words is important...it brings home that enormous impact and the ongoing effects. you are very proud of your beautiful city and that's a wonderful thing.
    Allison x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!