Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Simple tutorial for an easy peasy draw-string bag...

I really like drawstring bags, but I always found it a bit messy getting the top neat
till recently I had a brainwave. Funny enough Katy had exactly the same idea
but I promise I didn't steal it.

Drawstring bags can be any size depending on what you want to do with it
and what fabric you have on hand. 

To make a bag you need four pieces of fabric the same size,
two for the main (outer fabric) and two for the lining.
and two strips of fabric the same width as the main fabrics but 1.5" wide.
You also need a piece of batting.

You can quilt the batting to the main fabric if you like and then lay them right sides together and sew three sides. Do the same with the lining leaving a gap at the bottom for turning later. Fold over 3/8" on each side (the short ends) of the strips and sew down. Fold the strips in half length wise and press.

Turn the main fabric the right side out and carefully pin the folded strips at the top. 
They should fit nicely with a small gap at each side.

Side your lining over the bag and pin carefully. Sew all the way around the bag top.

Remove the pins and pull the main fabric out through the lining. Sew up the gap.
I usually top stitch the top of the bag to make it neat.

Thread your cord through and your bag is ready to use.
I love how neat and tidy this is, all lined and all raw edges covered.


While I was working this out (my first ones the top strip was too narrow)
I made one for my knitting, one for Annie's wet clothes
and one for Annie's hairbrush. 

Honestly I can see myself making a lot of these and I hope you do too.

11 comments:

  1. Fantastic. I so love that folky fabric very much. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb, that is how I do my drawstring bags too! I love this method and it means you can use contrasting fabric for the top band which I really like. Loving your happy yellow folksy fabric :) Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. DEB!!!!!!!.....seriously I am NOT making this up, I was going and still will do a tutorial on a small drawstring bag.....and the fabric I was going to use was THE SAME orange and brown print as yours! I was saving it for just such a project.......
    The co-inkidinks just keep piling up.....sometimes it's scary that we seem to have a similar wavelength....except I am a little less busy than you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice and easy! I especially love that fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent poѕt. ӏ was chеcking constantly
    this blog аnd I'm impressed! Very useful information specially the last part :) I care for such information much. I was looking for this particular information for a long time. Thank you and good luck.

    Feel free to surf to my site; Cieplakolderka.pl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ιnсredіble story therе. What haрреneԁ аftеr?

    Goοd luck!

    Ϻy webpagе :: http://www.richrollers.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is not my first time to νіsit thіѕ sіtе, i am bгowѕing thiѕ wеbsite dailly аnԁ gеt nice ԁata from here all the tіme.


    My web page: mistrzowie

    ReplyDelete
  8. great tutorial. I really love this fabric you used ...Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Тhese are really wonԁerful ideas in гegarding blogging.
    Υou have touсhed some fastidious thіngs here.

    Any wаy keeρ up wrintіng.

    Αlsο viѕit my webpаge :: side effects of using steroids

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Deb! I must admit I was a little confused while making this, but I stuck to your instructions and magically when I pulled the bag through the lining it was all perfect!! YUS!!


    x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!