Wednesday, April 24, 2013

St Louis 16 Patch.... {an a few thoughts about the ugly bits in life}


So this week has been a bit of a doozy in our household,
some weeks are like that. 
But in my spare moments I've been sewing some simple little blocks
from those squares I cut out last week.

They are bright and cheerful and easy to make,
they are called St Louis 16 Patch

I realised as I have put them together that most of these fabrics are rejects.
When I make a quilt, I pull a pile of fabrics from my stash
and sometimes one or two get discarded along the way.
Most of these fabrics just didn't make the cut.

There is nothing actually wrong with any of these fabrics,
they just didn't make it into one of any number of projects that I've made in the last year or two.
They ended up together in a basket waiting.

But in this project, it's their time to shine.
An eclectic bunch that look odd by themselves but are perfect together.

I realised as I've sewed these blocks this week,
that it's an appropriate project to work on when I feel life has been a bit askew,
It's the same with my life, even the bits I think are ugly can play their part in my story,
hey maybe even be a beautiful part in their way,
I just need to be willing to let God put them together.


In the meantime I'll keep on stitching up these wee blocks
and making a quilt filled with contrast and colour!


I just want to say that my last post created lots of comments,
both here and on my Facebook page,
I had the feeling I wasn't the only one feeling like that,
and now I know I'm not.
If you live in Christchurch, and the events of the last week have raised issues for you
there is free help available here.

I leave you with a couple of thoughts I found today
that are making me think...


There's no point in burying a hatchet

 if you're going to put up a marker on the site. 


“Never forget the three powerful resources

 you always have available to you: 

love, prayer, and forgiveness.”




5 comments:

  1. I love the way that quilt is going together Deb, and yes you're right life is really like that.It's sometimes when things feel the most wrong that we do our most exciting work.
    Keep believing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. needed that last quote today - pressing in to the heart of the one who lets me lean there and doesn't push me away xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that quote at the end. It's so needful to remember that, and I needed that today, so thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous quilt blocks. I love love love those super colorful fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quotes! and the bits and bobs of fabric work perfectly together!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!