Thursday, July 4, 2013

A Neighborhood Matariki Party!

Matariki is the Maori New Year
and this year my neighbour and I decided to have a scavenger hunt for the children.
We wrote a list of activities and arranged a few treats
and invited the kiddies in the neighbourhood.


Along the way they got a drink, a mini chocolate bar,
a sausage in bread and finished up cooking marshmallows on a fire at our place.


It's the first time the kids had done something like this,
and once they got the hang of it, they really loved it.
We were so fortunate because the weather was so warm
and the sun shone.


It really was a simple affair.
I did buy some New Zealand Flag bunting,
but I'm sure I can use that over and over again!


There were some star related activities
and some just because activities.


We really just wanted the kids to have fun
and to do a lot of running around and that is what happened,
so that's a success in my book.


I'm pretty sure it is going to be an annual event now!




We also made the best mulled wine ever in the crockpot.
Yummy!

Happy Matariki Everyone!!

8 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! Love it!
    I want to be your neighbour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I didn't know about the mulled wine :) again... Deb you are pretty special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah... you guys are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an awesome neighbour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an absolutely FABULOUS idea!
    I LOVE it.
    I also love that Matariki is becoming more of our very own Winter celebration, uniquely NZ.

    Way to go, Deb!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. In our little community everybody was invited to meet at 6:30pm (it was dark- exciting for the kids up past their bed time!) and we walked down by this little stream walk. Which had been lit up by glow sticks and has glow worms then we had warmed ribena juice and star shaped biscuits at the local church, and then a fire works display. All organised/funded by a couple of local families. A lovely celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic neighbourhood - fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! I must try doing mulled wine in the crock pot - Joan Bishop's recipe? (she is a legend!!!)

    We do a similar thing, incorporating lantern walk... Bet the kids loved it!

    NOw WHEN are they gonna make it a national holiday??!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!