Monday, August 26, 2013

Dear blogger, just write...




Yesterday I read this post by Meghan, about where dreams and reality collide,
and this morning while I was driving around I thought a bit about it.
Here's what I would say to anyone who whats to blog...


1. Make writing a habit. Make it part of your everyday life. Schedule it into your routine.
Aim to do it every day, then it will happen 3-4 times a week.

I write my post mostly after after dinner,
but the words are already in my head when I sit down to write.


2. Be real. Write in real time - right here, right now.
Don't try and be someone you are not.
Don't whinge, but package reality with grace and hope.


3. Don't be afraid to change what you write about,
just because it's how you did it, doesn't mean you have to keep doing that.
Allow yourself room to grow and change. 


4. Reality doesn't mean you can't follow your dreams.
Reality is still doing what you love despite the circumstances.
Reality is the best writing comes from the hard times.

If you can blog through these busy busy times,
if you can find words to make sense of your world as you are living it,
you will be writing a blog that is interesting for people to read.

Well that's what I think anyhow!!
What do you think??




10 comments:

  1. Yes :) i think many of us blog for different reasons. I have to make time daily to fit the blog in but more than that, to visit other blogs and comment so they will be encouraged. Being real is important, and no one enjoys whinging posts...grace and hope make all the difference. Change is good. My blog is far from what it used to be and i know for certain it will change again and again and thats ok. Encouraging post as always Deb x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few days after Katie was born I said something on Twitter about having a moments peace and I really wanted to blog, but probably shouldn't. Everyone told me to take a nap, but you said to blog.

    I wrote, and it really helped. It was then that I realised that "resting" comes in all shapes and forms, and expressing myself at such a monumental time of my life was really healing and fufilling for me!

    Thanks for such wise advice xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you respond to people Deb. Not preachy, not condescending, not loading on obligation and expectation. Just real wisdom from a life well lived. Love you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. DEB THIS IS BRILLIANT!!!!!
    I'm going to share this on my Blog facebook page... every blogger should read it. you have summed it all up perfectly.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Deb. I'm trying to get back to my Daily Pages - do some writing, any writing, as daily as I can, even if I only get one post out of 3-4 pages of writing.
    Then there's the writing, re-writing, tweaking, finding suitable photos or illustrations, then final tweaking before publishing. I'm lucky if I get one post done a week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff Deb. I think the very best bloggers simply find their own voice, their authentic true voice, and then they use it. Vix x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful words from a wonderful woman. I have been blogging on GrowMama for four years now, it's an extension of me and my life. People often ask me how long I spend each week on the blog and I don't have an answer to that. It's like making dinners, washing the dishes or just breathing. It just is! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for posting this. I have been blogging for nearly 1 year. I have absolutely loved the journey so far. I initially thought I would probably do a couple of posts and then the novelty would wear off. What I did not know factor in was the amazing like minded people I would "meet" online. For me it has made being a stay at home mum that little more special. It has made me see and find the magic in the mundane. Elaina xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you're full of good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post. So often I sit down and have nothing. Other days I have way too much. As for growing and changing? I think blogging has been one of the biggest avenues in my life for growth and change. As an introvert, I am daily grateful to touch base with so many amazing people. I honestly do not know what I would do without it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!