Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The story of a quilt...


Recently in my constant quest to finish all the stuff
I came across a bag of cut dresden petals
and one morning I sewed the ends, and then another day I turned them
and made the little points and pressed them and sewed them all together.


Then I found a piece of fabric in my stash and thought I'd sew them on
and some pink I fussy cut (most unlike me) for the centres.
On another morning I got up early and sewed on the borders
and behold it was a top. Just like that. A week of early mornings 
and a bit of afternoon stitching and it was done.


I had the feeling it was for a strong, beautiful woman,
but apart from that I wasn't sure who it was for,
but that's ok. The quilts always get a home.


Yesterday morning I got a message from my friend Pip in France
who urgently needed a quilt for a desperately sad situation.
So I texted Shenleigh and said I had a quilt that needed to jump the queue,
and she popped it on the machine and quilted it
and this morning I got up at six and bound it.


Then just as I finished it, Pip messaged me again and wanted a message stitched on it,
so I stitched it on and then couriered it to France late this afternoon.

It's on it's way. A quilt is not a cure for a bad situation,
but hopefully it will bring comfort.

Hopefully the love that it is stitched with,
will seep into the bodies of the broken hearted that snuggle under it.

I hope so. I pray so.
Praying and making quilts, 
two things I know I can do!

11 comments:

  1. So so beautiful Deb ... your words, the sentiment and that gorgeous quilt!
    Andi x

    ReplyDelete
  2. and 2 things you do with incredible integrity and amazing skill. Love you my friend you challenge and inspire me with your wide generous life. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a beautiful, beautiful gift. May it bring so much encouragement and life and colour to the lady who will receive it as her own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story Deb, it's incredible to think that your bag of scrappy bits turned into a beautiful 'needed' quilt. I am sure this will bring much joy to whomever receives it x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a lovely quilt and a very inspiring story. You have a very kind heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful. You did a fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilt is gorgeous. I love that background fabric. It makes the entire quilt amazing. Just think - hopefully soon you can be quilting it yourself. I am praying the blessing Deb will get you that quilting frame soon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous - I am sure they will treasure and love it for many many reasons x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're an angel. One day I want to be just like you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!