Wednesday, September 17, 2014

#scrappyquilt


Yesterday while I was sitting at Uni,
Clare messaged me at said: 
"Would you please give me your three best tips for a
beginner who wants to start a scrap quilt! x"


I thought for a while and wrote back:
1. Anything cut small enough goes together so don't stress about matching
2 Just do it
3. Just do it!!


We messaged back and forth for a bit and I suggested Katy's famous Scrap Vomit


I said, I have a bunch of scraps (of course)
and I haven't made a scrap vomit this year
so I'll do one as well and we can encourage each other!


And then I thought, what the heck!
maybe some other folks want to join in.
We can all encourage each other!!



A scrap quilt is my favourite quilt to make. 
I made all of the quilts in this post last year just in snippets of time
before breakfast in the mornings.
I made other quilts too, that wasn't all I did
plus I'm studying and have a family to love.

What I'm saying is, you don't have to have lots of time to do this.

It really helps if you leave your sewing machine set up somewhere,
even on top of your bedroom drawers 
or a corner of the kitchen bench. Just so you can sew a few seams
when you have a spare minute!!


So I think we will start next week.
This week's task is to drag out all your scraps and odds and ends of fabric
and press it and if you have time start cutting 2 1/2" squares.


So what do you think?? keen??
want to join in?? Clare and I are going to do it anyhow.
I think we will use the tag #scrappyquilt on Instagram
If anyone wants to make us a fancy button, we would like that
but otherwise lets just do it.

We can easily get this done before Christmas,
would make an awesome present for someone!!

Also, by the way, Congratulations to Jennifer and Prudence
who won a copy of Imagine quilts and a fabric bundle respectively.
These lovely ladies have been contacted and I'll get their parcels off to them shortly.

Edit: Oh what about this for a button??
Save for your blog or repost on Instagram

10 comments:

  1. You are dangling temptation in front of me... the sad thing is finding out if I've got enough scraps to do anything with. I tend to use the scraps on the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I desperately want to join in, since I think this would be just the project that I need right now, sewn in little snippets of time. I guess if I get caught up on my other quilt along (which I'm also using my scraps for), then I could join in on this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I soooo want to join in! Soooo!!! Alas, I have a huge deadline to meet so I'm NOT ALLOWED TO COMMIT TO ANYTHING ELSE (voice in head). I'll just want enviously from the sidelines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a scrap vomit that needs finishing. Thanks for the nudge. I will join you. Might even be able to keep up since half my blocks are done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you budget for your quilts? I tried quilting several years ago but when I went to the quilt stores I was taken aback at the prices. Do you really need to use the fabric they recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooooo love it! but alas - hands and head is a bit overflowingly full but I will be cheering from the sidelines!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deb, you've sewn the seed. I'm seriously thinking about joining in and will let you know when I've made my mind up.
    (I would be so proud of myself if I could pull off my own vomit quilt - yours are truly beautiful)
    Even if I don't join in, I think this is a really lovely idea. Thank-you x

    p.s. do you have a tip for cutting squares. I don't have any fancy equipment but I do have a very good pair of scissors (treated myself). Everything I cut looks wonky?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. just the push I need to make a first quilt...Scared @!%$less - so I'm in LOL! X

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have to consider this I think, have some blankets that need quilt tops to go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good on you Deb for encouraging Clare into a quilt project finally. :p

    I have too many quilts on the go to start another one - a couple are actually scrap quilts, I'll check in with you weekly and be encouraged as you work on your pattern and hopefully I'll progress mine!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!