Tuesday, December 2, 2014

“What day is it?", asked Winnie the Pooh "It's today," squeaked Piglet "My favourite day," said Pooh”



Hello again. It's been a three weeks and here I am again.
The surgery went well but it's a pretty brutal surgery
and recovery takes time.  The new joint is working well,
I just have to wait for the bone and large incision to heal up.
I have matching scars now, one on each hip.


I discovered that you can sew bindings on quilts
while lying flat on your back and so that is what I have been doing.
To date, I have completely finished 12 of the 16 Beyond Neutral quilts
and they are looking amazing.
We are making plans to take pictures of them in February
and they will be posted somewhere for all to see
(I'll let you know nearer the time where they are going)



Recovery is frustrating and slow
and it is hard to be patient.
I feel like I've been an observer of life for so long
and now I want to get out there and be in it!


I've noticed something interested though
as I lie on the sofa, sew bindings on quilts
and watch the family do their thing.
It seems to me that sometimes we need to let go of the bigger picture
and just focus on the little things here and now.



When times are difficult, it is possible to be thankful for fresh flowers and sunshine
and much more important than agendas and timetables.
To enjoy a freshly baked cake with a hot cup of tea
puts a smile on your face more than plans for the future.



Life is about finding the balance between these two things,
the big and the little.
But I realise now, that in the hard times,
when each day stretches out long and painful,
to focus on the little details and enjoy those,
is actually the way forward.



You don't notice the change day to day,
but looking back over a week you realise that things are better.
All those little moments carry you forward
while you wait for the big changes to occur.



I've sewed the binding down on this quilt in the last week or two as well,
it's a lovely quilt, although funny enough,
it doesn't photograph well as a big picture.
This quilt is all about the little details and the tiny pictures.

I'm sending it away today, to a dear dear friend in Australia,
who needs a reminder to enjoy the little things
while the hard times are passing.
It goes with all my love.

10 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I have really missed your posts and am so pleased to see you back. You must be feeling stronger. Keep up the good work. I love the quilt you have finished for your friend in Australia. Some great fabrics in there, all new to me. Yes, small steps and then you get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true, focus on the little bits! I've recently given up list making (except when I go to buy groceries!) and I find that my enjoyment of the moment is growing. Just because I thought I should I made a plan for the week-haven't crossed off more than two things so far! It's back to a general in my head list of four things: 1 hour of housework daily, walk and play with my dog, get the holiday decor put up and quilt. I can remember all that without a list!

    Rest up and heal, you'll soon enough be so busy your head spins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are on the mend and it seems your sense of wonder in life's little gifts has heightened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so true - life is all about balance ultimately isn't it? So glad you are feeling up to things and even though you cant, you want to and are looking forward to getting into it! Hope you continue to find joy in the little things and hope the wounds heal super speedy for you. As for the quilt...those fabrics... heaven xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you have recovered and hope your friend gets through her current hard times also. Love the fabric in this! You do have an eye for colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back! I've missed you. You're plan to get through days sounds great. You'll be racing around before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you are back . And your story is so inspiring. It is a real poem for me. Thank you so much for those wise words. Big hugs from France
    Baukje

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Deb, I hope your recovery speeds up and is smooth and total. I had hip surgery 4 yrs ago, and what a difference it made in my quality of life. Love the quilt! Can't wait to see what else you've been up to, (or down to?) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watched an older lady have a hip replacement on one of those hospital reality shows. It was indeed brutal!
    I'm not surprised that it takes a while for you to recover.
    I hope you can get mobilising more over the next few weeks - soon this part of your recovery will be just a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really a darling quilt. Love the colors and patterns. Wishing you a rapid recovery! How nice that you can see this opportunity of down time to savor the everyday small delights.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!