Thursday, January 1, 2015

Reflections on a sunrise....



Last night was New Years Eve here in the Southern Hemisphere, and we went out for coffee and dessert with some friends of ours. But Annie has a terrible dose of Chickenpox and we decided not to stay up late but to tuck our kiddies into bed and call 2014 done and dusted (just in case we had to get up to the smallest child in the night).

I decided that I wanted to see the sun rise on 2015 and so I set my alarm for 5.45 in preparation for sunrise at 5.56 am. When my alarm woke, I really couldn't be bothered getting up (have you tried sleeping in a camping ground on New Year's Eve??) but I thought the sun will only rise this once on January the 1st and so I dragged myself out of bed and down to the beach.
Once I got there, I worked out where the sun would come up and sat down to wait. It was cold and the sun had to rise above the hill, so of course it took longer. While I waited I thought about something that has been on my mind for a while. These last two years studying at University, has made me re-evaluate a lot of things that I had regarded as important. It makes me look at the world in a different way.

So while I sat there, I had a talk to God about how disappointed I felt about some of the stuff that happens in His name, things that religious people say and do that causes deep hurt and rejection to others. Re-assessing my belief system is a scary thing. Working out what is important and what is not.

I sat on the log and waited for the sun, and talked to God about how I still firmly believe that He is real, and that having that faith is an important part of who I am. But the shape of my faith has changed over the last few years. Faith is all well and good, but faith without action is pointless. I want to be someone who shows others love in practical and tangible ways, someone who lends a hand when times are hard.

After a while I got sick of waiting for the sun to come up and I needed to go to the loo, so I walked back up to our tent and then went up to the utility block. All of the time I was doing this, the sun kept on slowly rising and when I came back it was just peeping over the hill.


The sun kept right on coming up, no matter if I was in a special place to wait for it, or if I was just doing my daily tasks. The sun will keep on coming up whether I watch for it or not.


I read somewhere once, "I believe in the sun when it doesn't shine and I believe in God even though I can't see Him". My faith does not look the same as it did two years ago, but it's still there, and it's still an important component of who I am. I can go about my daily life with the confidence that it gives me, but I can show how this works for me by my actions. This is my dream for 2015, the year that I hopefully finish my degree, that my actions will be such that others are encouraged, helped and supported. 

Happy New Year!!

(Finished the quilting on this quilt today, sorry about the terrible photos. The sun was bright and the quilt is even brighter!!)

3 comments:

  1. I need to have my chat with God, also, because my faith is still there but changed. I suppose that's part of growing and learning, hopefully with wisdom, that we only get from God. The quilt is wonderful in all its brightness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always I love your reflective posts. I have been trying to decide which beach you were on....... Please tell me and see if I am on the right track. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It never cease to amazes me that life goes on... the world never stands still and time moves on as consistently as ever. Happy New Year to you and yours Deb. Lovely post xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!