Wednesday, February 18, 2015

2015 Pantone Quilt Challenge


The clever and talented Adrienne issued a challenge to use Marsala
(the Patone Colour of the Year).
It's a weird colour and people have been pondering how to use it.

I rummaged around in my stash and found something that approximated the Marsala
and decided to see what I could do with it.


I kind of like the challenge of incorporating something I don't like
into a whole picture. It is tricky to do it and make the whole work.
Anyway I've made this striking (and super simple) quilt
and I think that the colours are working well.




Lets face it, we all have parts of our lives that we don't like
or that challenge us in some way
and learning to make that a seamless part of our story
is a huge part of what makes us human.


I won't actually enter this in the competition
because it doesn't meet the brief,
but I'm happy with how it turned out (and that is what matters!!)
You were supposed to make the marsala stand out,
but I kinda liked making it blend in!



Also really happy with my straight line quilting here,
my Juki and I are now friends and I think between us we will achieve great things.



The back of this quilt has a nice surprise, 
because after all, it's the bits we don't see that are often most important.


7 comments:

  1. What a lovely, happy quilt! You're right, Marsala is tricky. I think you've done a wonderful job in making it feel light. I do hope you reconsider entering the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like that quilt, I need to get back to quilting too, but like you I have too many balls in the air. Might do quilting after the current outfit is done though, mine won't be as striking as yours though.
    Glad you like your Juki, mine's not been tested on quilting, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work! I doubt I have any marsala in my stash either, but I'm in no hurry to go get some.
    I am being pushed though as I have to make a mini quilt in 3 dull, washed out chambray colours. They are the only colours I am allowed. And of course I have none in my stash... Have been eyeballing a Juki straight stitcher for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quilt! It is definitely striking! Sometimes the most simple of patterns really make the fabrics come to life and shine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The colours work beautifully, very simple but very effective.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!