Sunday, March 1, 2015

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals {Henry David Thoreau}


On Saturday morning I got up in the dark
prised the two youngest children out of bed with threats of violence;
and with Juliet, Sophie and Gill
went down to the centre of town just as the sun started to come up.


Because Saturday was the day that we photographed all the quilts
that I made from the book Beyond Neutral by John Q Adams.

Saturday was the day that we hung them all on a fence and took photos of them,
it was the day I dreamed of as I sewed up the last of the quilts.


It was amazing to have dreamed a dream
and then take the steps to make it come true.
It wasn't a change the world dream or anything like that,
just a challenge to myself,
but it felt so good to have set a challenge and (against all odds) succeeded.
I learned that I can do hard things.


I've been blogging since 2005 before it was cool.
I've been making things since I was a preschooler.
I'm not one of the cool kids, I'm a nobody at the bottom of the globe.
I read recently somewhere that even if nobody else thinks you are important,
you need to be important to yourself. 


I don't mean this in a stuck up, "I'm important" kind of way,
but that we value the things that we do and make decisions that reflect this.
It's about doing things in one's best interest,
maybe even looking after oneself.


For me, #makingallthequilts was about focussing on the good things,
making something good from a horrible situation,
being my own cheerleader and backing myself.
All of the time I was making these quilts, I was getting about on crutches,
I couldn't sleep and I was in agony all the time.
Looking back I don't know how I managed to do it.

But now when I look at these quilts I will never forget
that I can do hard things and I can back myself.