Saturday, May 23, 2015

The first to help you up are the ones who know how it feels to fall down.


Bit by bit I've been giving away the 16 quilts that I made 
when I made all the quilts in John's book, 
while I was distracting myself from how downright shit my life was right then.

I love giving things away, 
I love that I can show someone that I care by giving them something I made.
I'm not so great at the talking thing,
but I'm perfectly fine at the making you a quilty hug thing.



I love this quilt. I love the colours, I love the quirky fabrics.
I love the pattern. It's a great quilt where everything came together 
just the way I like it. I thought I would keep it forever
 but actually I've decided someone else needs it more!


The thing about social media is that you get glimpses into someone else's life.
You don't always get the whole picture,
but you feel like you get to know the type of person
whose little Instagram pictures you like
or tweets you read.


Sometimes you can tell when things aren't going so well.
You can tell when someone is sad,
or sick or anxious.


Lots of times you can't do anything about it,
after all the world is a big place and you can't solve everyone's problems.

But occasionally you can.
And so this week I'm posting this quilt to a random stranger
who is struggling with anxiety.



I'm going to post this quilt to New York 
to someone who doesn't know me
but who needs a quilty hug.

Because actually a hug is the best thing I've discovered
for when life is tinged with blue.
And a random act of kindness won't change the world
but I know it won't be wasted.

I'm hoping that as they wrap their self in it,
that they realise that they can do hard things
and life won't seem so blue after all.