Friday, July 10, 2015

{Excuse me while I pat myself on the back}


Three years ago when my sister suggested to me that I go to university,
I thought that...
a) I wasn't smart enough and 
b)I didn't have time.

I was working two jobs, full time parenting
and doing some coursework through Playcentre.


It really hadn't been my dream to go to university,
I never considered it (see point a)
but I really wanted to learn and I wanted to know if I could.

I looked at my busy life and pondered what I could give up.



I decided to give up sleep and I applied for one paper through Massey University.
I got up at 5am and studied till 7am for a whole semester,
and I passed. It was amazing, but it wasn't sustainable.

And that is how I ended up rearranging my whole life
and going to Canterbury.


Last night we all got the results of this semester's papers.
The semester when all the wheels in my life fell off
and I had to work hard to put it all back together.

The semester when I found out who my real friends were
and learned to lean on them in the hard times.

I passed everything and I'm stoked with my results.
I now have two papers to go and I can graduate.

I think I am actually going to make it.

Isn't it amazing, it turns out you can follow your dreams
and if you work hard, you can make them come true.


27 comments:

  1. Yay! Here's a virtual pat on the back from me, too. You are a champion. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Here's a virtual pat on the back from me, too. You are a champion. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So amazing Deb!! Congratulations!!!
    XXXJennie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woowhoo! Good for you! Great for your kids to see too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb, you are awesome!! Back pats, high fives, hugs...well-deserved, lady! You're an inspiration to many, in a variety of ways xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go you Deb! You are totes awesome & I look up to you, I want to be ace just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So proud of you, with everything you do and your way of prioritising what's important. And your good heart. Congratulations! Go and celebrate for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations - you've just about done it! Any idea what you're going to "do" with your degree? You earned it, now use it - or not. It's up to you. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay you! You've done so well, especially with everything that has happened this year. I hpoe it has shown you what you can do :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations. I am in awe of women who manage study along with everything else. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  12. CONGRATULATIONS! So well deserved and so well done. Go, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done. Choosing to do it meant you were ready for more in your life and you took a step towards securing your future. I admire you for persevering and achieving so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's wonderful Deb, very well done and certainly well deserved. What are the plans after graduating?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! Be very proud. I never doubted that you would succeed. You are an awesome role model for your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations. You never fail to amaze me with everything you do. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. *pat pat pat* you're incredible Deb! Well done on your great results, and for not only "surviving" through this season but excelling! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whoop whoop! Congrats!!! You are a Legend xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. deb congrats that is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow Deb that is amazing. I remember you starting and asking where were you going to find the time. You have incredible persistence, I think I would have given up along the way. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is soooo awesome!! Two more papers? WOW! I'm amazed at all you have achieved through all the chaos you have endured! I couldn't imagine trying to mix that in to my chaotic life... a big congratulations Deb! xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Outstanding! Another example of putting one foot in front of the other, day after day, and reaching a goal -- you did it! I hope you always hold this accomplishment dear. It truly is a very big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Deb, this is the first time I have read your blog, and I wanted to say that I find you very inspiring with what you have achieved, with everything life has thrown at you. I feel so full of admiration that you have reached an amazing goal when your life seems to have been incredibly full and busy and challenging,and I wish you much happiness for the future - I think you truly deserve it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!