Sunday, July 26, 2015

Sometimes it ends up different but it is better that way....




Sometimes we make plans and start along a path,
but as we go things change and we need to change the plan.
I find it really easy to feel like a failure at this point,
and often I keep doing things just because
I don't want to feel like I've failed.

Like this quilt for example.
I started it last year and had great plans for it.
But it was about the time when my hip completely gave up
and I couldn't stand on two legs anymore.

Turns out that paper piecing is easier to do if you can jump up and
use the cutting mat and press things,
so I laid the project aside and got stuck into making all the quilts.



Every now and again I'd pull the project out,
but somehow in the intervening time,
I'd lost the joy of the thing and just couldn't get enthusiastic about it.

So yesterday I unpicked the segments that I had completed
and made a cushion. Then I returned all the fabric to my stash
and cut up the scraps into 2 1/2" squares. 



It felt so good to have a resolution to the project.
Also we have a pretty stylish cushion for our old chair.

And although part of me feels like I failed,
I know that sometimes things don't work out;
actually finishing something useful
is more important than a guilt-inducing unfinished project
hiding in the cupboard.


Guilt is such an unproductive and unmotivating emotion,
I'm working on recognising it more often
and not letting my life decisions be driven by it.

Here's to changing plans
and here's to achievements
instead of wishful thinking.

6 comments:

  1. Deb, I don't know you but just wanted to say that I think you achieve a hell of a lot. When I read your blog I often think that I don't know how you do all that you do, especially as you have faced major life upheavals in the last few years.
    I'm going to take on board your 'Here's to achievements not wishful thinking' mantra - have wasted too much of my life thinking and worrying instead of doing. Please know that you are inspiring!
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! If we sew because we enjoy it, we really shouldn't pressure ourselves with guilt and 'should haves'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always admired this philosophy of yours, and have often taken note. It is hard but dropping guilt or as I see it an overbearing sense of responsibility....frees you up and it is a great way to live. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - ditch the project (or book) if it's not working for you. A couple of years ago I discovered a single bed quilt in my cupboard. An almost completed Seminole quilt design that I had started at a workshop. It had been hidden in the cupboard for perhaps ten years! I had even got to the stage where it was sandwiched ready for quilting. I didn't like the colours or fabrics anymore so I decided to take the backing off, which was washed and put back into my stash and then donated the top to a quilter I know who makes Linus quilts. She took apart some of the sections, divided it into two packs and asked two of her quilting friends to each make a Linus quilt. Both really different as each quilter had added bits of their own fabrics and ideas and two lovely quilts came out of my old WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your positive thinking about something that has frustrated you. Fab cushion!!
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cushion looks brilliant and will be lovely for cuddling up with. You are so right about the guilt thing. I have masses of craft gear and projects that I allow myself to worry about. Sometimes just putting one foot in front of the other is hard enough. Crafty stuff should be fun!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!