Monday, September 21, 2015

Living with tics {by Reuben}





Since the Christchurch Earthquakes in 2010-2011
Reuben has been living with what he calls Robot Eyes 
(tics). Over a long period of time, he wanted us to fix them
but it isn't quite that simple.


Reuben says, having tics is like
someone else having a remote control to your body.
It makes his body hurt (once he put his neck out three times in one week)
it made him feel tired and irritated.

It makes the other kids mock him.


This year we have had numerous visits to the psychiatrist
trying to work out the best way to treat them.

The options are all complicated and difficult.
We tried one and it had bad side effects,
so we are gradually trying another one (also with horrid side effects)
before we stop the first one.


Reuben just wants the tics to stop.
For a long time, the kids at school gave him a hard time
and it made him angry and frustrated.

He says that he is getting better at deflecting their mocking comments now.


The reason we are writing this post,
is because Reuben (and other kids like him)
need people to know that he is just a normal kid like everyone else
and not to judge him because he has tics.


10 comments:

  1. ALWAYS be kind, everyone is fighting their own battles xxx
    Love and Hugs Reuben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for teaching me more about tics Reuben. All kids and adults have different stuff going on and it's so dumb when people tease each other about normal (or any) stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might notice the tic at first but within minutes I get used to it and it becomes just a part of who you are, just like your freckles and your lovely smile and sparkling eyes. It is sad that mean spirited people cannot understand but then they don't understand much and they get scared. I feel sorry for the scared and mean people because they don't have lovely smiles or sparkly eyes. Reuben you are wonderful and so is your Mum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can really feel for him , kids can be so cruel , OH since his spinal injury is plagued with them , though a small operation on his wrists has cured the spasms in his arms ,he now has a random tremor , as he says eating peas is a problem .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless him, my heart feels for him ..different I know but my kids have autism...a different journey prehaps but I know so well how awful and scared a fear so real like this is....take care all of you....Maria xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this post Reuben, its so good to know more about tics and what its like living with them. It sounds like its really hard. I'm so sorry that other children can be mean to you. Hopefully one day, they will grow to be more understanding. And I hope one of your treatments start to work, so that it can be easier for you x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Reuben, Thank you for posting. I wish the other kids recognised you for the special individual that you are. Great news that you are finding ways to deal with any hurtful comments. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are all different and it's the best thing in the world. Celebrate it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a brave and precious boy! A friend of mine left Christchurch after the earthquakes and although I'm grateful to have her here in Australia she still suffers with anxiety that was triggered by the earthquakes. I think unless you lived through it you truly have no understanding on how scary it was. You are brave and strong!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have tics, too, Reuben. I'm well past school age now, so let me tell you a thing: it gets way better! Kids can be cruel. As you and your peers get older, they'll get better at not caring about your tics. And when that happens, anxiety about others noticing your tics will decrease too. For me, this decreases tic severity and frequency. I hope it does the same for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!