Tuesday, November 24, 2015

anyone can make you smile or cry, but it takes someone special to make you smile when you already have tears in your eyes


This week I received a parcel from Cat in Hong Kong.
She had been working on it for a while
and sent it to me as a nice surprise.

It was full of lovely handmade goodies,
but the thing I loved the most was the handwritten letter that she wrote.


I was touched so much by her words,
because she shared some of her own pain with me.

I felt so honoured to be able to receive her words
and the things that she said meant far more to me
because she was vulnerable with me.


I can't even tell you how much it meant to me,
to be able to hear someone else's pain
and to know about the path that they had walked
and because of this to know they understood where I was at.


I've been thinking about it since I opened the parcel 
and read the letter.

This year I have discovered who are my real friends,
and I have grown to value so much this tight knit circle of precious people.

But Cat in Hong Kong showed me something else,
true friends share not only the good times, the fun times,
but they are able to share the hard times too.


It is not just enough to say... I know how you feel,
it is far more valuable when someone shares with me the journey that they are on
and so that we feel like fellow travellers on the same journey.


When I write, I find it much easier to express how I feel,
but when I'm having a conversation with a friend,
I find that much more difficult.


I'm super grateful to Cat for not only sending me a precious parcel of treasures
but also for sharing her story with me
and thereby teaching me what real friendship is all about.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Deb, thank you for being YOU. Thank you for listening to me, sharing my pain. I am sorry you understand it first hand, but happy that we can share it, together.
    And thank you for being so inspiring. Cat xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to be loved and understood. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Cat said, it's a shame that you are going through the hard times, but it's lovely that you have friends who can share the journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes we forget that it's ok to not be ok. I'm glad Cat touched your heart with her mail, as you have touched mine thru your blog.
    Hugs, Rie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful present! I would be really touched if I got a parcel like that! Lovely handmade goodies! I like yellow color a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!