Friday, December 25, 2015

In which I arrive in America and start my adventure already...


So I finally arrive in New York 30 hours after I left home and collect my suitcase from the carousel and walk out the door of the airport to find the public transport. I literally walk straight into a tall man in a suit waving a flimsy Uber sign who asks me if I want a ride. I tell him that I can't afford it, but he is very persistent and tells me he will charge $65 (he lied).

Anyway, I am a bit tired and there are so many people around that I think, what the heck? I may as well and so I literally walk off with the first strange man who talks to me. I'm pretty sure this wasn't exactly the best plan in the world, but there was no WIFI at the airport and it seems a good idea at the time.

Actually it turned out to be a great idea, Achmed was a great guy who pointed out all the buildings as we went along. I've seen the Empire State building all lit up in Christmas colours. I've seen the New York Times building. I've seen more Christmas lights than I have ever seen in my life.

I've been through three toll bridges. They seem to have to pay a lot of money to go on the roads here. I've been in a tunnel under the Hudson River. I saw a bunch of policemen just randomly hanging by the side of the road with the biggest, meanest guns just casually in their hands. I think it was went I saw the guns I realised I really was in New York.

Achmed decided I needed pizza, so he stopped and brought one. It was delicious. And then he dropped me off safely at the door to the building I'm staying in. The photo is the view from the balcony. 

Anyway, all of that just on the trip from the Airport. What adventures can I have in two weeks??
Now I need a shower and a cup of tea. 

18 comments:

  1. oh my heart! i read all of this and laughed and wanted to hug Achmed for taking you for real NY pizza...smart man! what a beautiful view! by the looks of this start this is going to a grand adventure for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears of overwhelming happiness for you Deb! I can't wait to hear how you dream continues to become a reality! Biggest love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun Deb - New York rocks !! ( Robyn Neal)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Deb! What an adventure already! You will love New York. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Deb - what an adventure. Please explore Central Park for me - we only really went round the edges! Oh and I meant to tell you that those tour the city buses are excellent - they tell such great stories about the places you are going past. Btw - I finished that quilt we started for Alice! Have the best of times! Love, Robyn P

    ReplyDelete
  6. How much did he charge?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh delight - looking forward to hearing more stories

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I was worried for you and relieved it turned out well. Happy adventuring!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please go to the fabric district!!! :-) Adventure girl xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy that turned out well for you. But be careful. Have a great time and I hope the New Yorkers treat you kindly.
    Have a great New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great way to start off to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoy your stay in NYC! You already have had one adventure :-)
    I'll jinx myself by saying this but I have had no problems wandering around NYC. I wander and gawp (carefully and never at rush hour) and when I need to unwind, I make my way to Central Park, find the bird feeding area and sit and watch the birds for a while.
    On your way back, take the Long Island Railroad (LIRR) from Penn station to Jamaica and then transfer to the air train. I think it costs USD15-20 all up and if you are travelling at anything other than 3am, it is much faster.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to know why you ended up

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my i did not know that you were planning to go to NY. Waht an adventure.......

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been saving up your holiday blog posts to read in one go when we got back from holiday. Excited to finally have the chance to read about your adventures. Hope you are having a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!