Sunday, May 22, 2016

a thought or two on self care....



Last week I was bleating to my doctor
on how I was still feeling like shit.

She patiently explained how once your iron stores go very low
it takes a long time for them to get better.



The funny (not funny) thing is that I hadn't realised how bad I was feeling
until it got to the point where I started falling asleep
every time I sat down. 

Silly me. 

Anyway, slowly (very slowly) the iron tablets are working
and I'm starting to feel like me again.


I even asked my friend John for a copy of one of his new patterns
and started sewing on the weekend.

It felt so good to be being creative again.


There is something about mindlessly chain sewing pieces
that makes all the pieces in my head fall back into place.



And then for a side benefit, 
there is something pretty to see after my weekend's stitching.


So the learning is:
 If you have been feeling like shite for more than three weeks,
you should probably talk to someone about it.

Don't leave it for more than three months. 
It takes a long (long) time to get back up to speed.

13 comments:

  1. oooffff, that's not cool. Thinking of you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria StevensMay 22, 2016 at 8:13 PM

    I love reading your blog Deb... You are honest, open & I find myself thinking "Yes I know what she means"!!! Thank you for once again reminding me to be kinder to myself. Hope you Enjoy a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you wrote about falling asleep every time you sat down, light bulb moment, and having too low of iron. Happens to me all the time and have thought something is wrong with me but then my brain made all kinds of reasons why this happened, too much stress, grief, low blood sugar etc. Gave blood about 6 weeks ago and was at the very low end of what they would accept in iron levels. So thanks for writing this. something to go check on and forgot. Hope you feel better sooner and love the pieced star !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been living at the doctors recently, mainly due to feeling like crap. Unfortunately mine doesn't seem to be low iron, still not sure what it is but I'm on pills for the most likely suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes :) And caring for yourself is good, necessary, non-selfish and kind and awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my Deb! You would feel like shite! Been learning the hard way about self care too....hence lots of sewing a me time.....I'm nourishing myself so I can actually be more there for others.....keep it up xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my Deb! You would feel like shite! Been learning the hard way about self care too....hence lots of sewing a me time.....I'm nourishing myself so I can actually be more there for others.....keep it up xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my Deb! You would feel like shite! Been learning the hard way about self care too....hence lots of sewing a me time.....I'm nourishing myself so I can actually be more there for others.....keep it up xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the stained glass look..........good you got some sewing time to work in with your iron tablets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wholly agree - if you feel you have a problem get it investigated ASAP. A "Stitch in Time" and all that. Easier to deal with problems (of whatever kind) in the early stages.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too struggle with persistent low iron. Have done for years....until last year I stopped taking shitty iron tablets that made my whole digestive system irritated and just focused on taking vit c to aid in uptaking the quality iron that was already right throughout my diet. I just wasn't absorbing it due to low vit c intake! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too struggle with persistent low iron. Have done for years....until last year I stopped taking shitty iron tablets that made my whole digestive system irritated and just focused on taking vit c to aid in uptaking the quality iron that was already right throughout my diet. I just wasn't absorbing it due to low vit c intake! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Didn't know you were feeling so poorly, glad to hear your on the upswing now. I Might try the vitamin C thing too. It can't hurt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!