Tuesday, May 17, 2016

RIP Renee



On Sunday a beautiful young woman died a horrible death
and her badly damaged body was found on the banks of the Rakaia River.

I do not know her at all. 
But I do know that Renee was a daughter, a sister, a friend.
A girl who had a lot of life to live
and who was busy trying to balance what she wanted from life
and how to get there.

She did not deserve to die.

But the thing that is making me very angry right now,
is that the media is only remembering her
by what they think her day-job was.

That is the only identification they are giving.
Her job was not illegal,
it is a hard, sad job, the oldest profession in the world
and there are many reasons that people work it.

Let's not judge Renee for her work
Let's not make a call about how she died,
It is this judgemental attitude which allows
 the perpetration of violence to continue.

Why don't we stop it right now,
and remember a beautiful life which was taken with violently
rather than identify and judge someone for something
they definitely would not have chosen as a life path.

Renee is not just Renee-the sex worker,
she is Renee the person just beginning her life.

RIP Renee


12 comments:

  1. Very true Deb. Renee was a person, a job never makes a person. RIP Renee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very poignant post. and so true. Rest in Peace Renee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading and lurking on your blog for quite some time now, seldom commenting. I wish I knew you in real life because I think we all need more people like you. I will say some prayers for Renee's family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a touching post, Deb. We all need to be reminded that everyone is a person and deserves to be treated with dignity and respect. We cannot know everyone's backstory or what has shaped their lives and decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep, separating the behaviour from the the person can help us all live more harmoniously...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you completely. Poor girl and her poor family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exactly what I was thinking when watching the news! The media all too often lack true compassion and consideration. What about those left behind that do know Renee and love her, who call her friend, call her daughter, granddaughter and sister?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agree with everything you've written Deb, may she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sad, but she will be missed by someone whatever her career choice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hopefuly she knew Christ, if more people would try to help some of these girls that don't know how to get out of the lifestyle instead of judging them she may be alive right now. Praying for the ones that love her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally agree. It breaks my heart when I see such vulnerable people treated so poorly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!